Wagon Bridge, Longton, Kansas

Started by W. Gray, September 17, 2009, 05:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

From Jarhead,

This is a post card that a Nam buddy of mine found in a flea market in North Carolina [addressed to a person in Denver, CO, no less]. He found two post cards of Elk County in N.Carolina. I'll search for the other one. The "Wagon Bridge" is still standing but closed for traffic, except the farmer who still crosses it. Now you have a mission to tell me where the bridge is.I guess it's possible the bridge never officially had that name.

Anyone know where this bridge is located. Might it be over Hitchen Creek?

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flintauqua

How about N 37.39206 W 96.11609 or SE1/4, NE1/4, SW1/4, Sec 32, T30S, R12E?

flintauqua

jarhead

The wagon bridge is north of Kirks Mini Mart and spans Hitchin creek. It's the old black top road that used to be how went north of town.The bridge is still there but the road is closed and only used by the land owner.

flintauqua

That was my first thought, but I couldn't remember if it was still there, or if it had been flooded out. 

The spot I identified is upstream about two miles.  Is that old bridge still there?

jarhead

Flint,
The bridge up stream was a concrete bridge and no it's not there any more. Well, I should say not useable. The county boys blasted that old bridge and it lies in Hitchin creek. It was replaced by a  bridge NW of the site of the old bridge.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk