An Interesting Concept

Started by W. Gray, September 13, 2009, 07:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

While doing some research, I noted this advertisement in the Independence Reporter of February 21, 1960, and wondered whatever might have happened to this interesting concept.

I recall than Norge appliances were at one time quite a big name. However, I do not seem to recall a washer and dry being in the same cabinet and apparently using the same basket.

It is interesting to note that no vent to the outside was required. And, gas or electric, no less.

To some of us, 1960 might not seem that long ago, but, gorfy, it was 50 years ago. If someone had mentioned 1910 to me in 1960, I would have thought they were talking about the stone age.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sixdogsmom

I remember this, but it didn't go over with the users. It meant that an hour or more was required to totally process one load, while with two appliances uaually two loads could be processed in that time. I do not remember anyone having purchased one of these.
Edie

indygal

I do remember something like this in the '80s or maybe early '90s as part the General Electric Concept House. I'd have to agree with SDM that it likely didn't seem like a time-saver.

Speaking of time, 1960 was my birth year. And 1910 was the stone age.  ;)

Mom70x7

It's again becoming a more popular concept. I've seen it in mobile homes and small apartments. I'd seriously consider one the next time we have to buy, especially if we decide to downsize our living arrangements.

W. Gray

If the drying operation does not require a vent, I am wondering how.

It would seem to make sense that it would take a long time to do several loads. At the same time, it would seem to make sense in some situations.

I recall that my mom used a washboard and hand operated wringer. By 1960, her washing machine was electric, had no top, was on legs and four wheels and had a swing out electrically operated wringer that she could direct to either side of the washer. She would wring the clothes into one of two tubs that were also on wheels. The wringer had a safety mechanism that would cause it to pop the wringers a couple inches apart if the wringer load was too great. I remember it doing that quite often. After washing, she carried the wash out and hung it on the line. I recall one time during the winter when she enlisted me to help bring in the clothes and they were all frozen stiff, including the sheets.

By 1965, she had what we would now call the traditional washer and dryer. The only problem was that the Y mixer hoses of the time were not strong enough and would eventually split and temporarily flood part of the basement. Nowadays, they have more conveniently placed shutoffs or have shutoffs that can detect a split hose and automatically shut the water off, and have hoses that will take the pressure.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Dale Smith

I have one of these!  I converted my basement into a one-bedroom apartment, and I put one of these under the counter in the bathroom.  Looks just like a front-loading washer, but it washes and drys.  It's perfect for a small space. 

Diane Amberg

Is it cheaper than buying two separate machines?

Dale Smith

Quote from: Diane Amberg on September 17, 2009, 02:33:27 PM
Is it cheaper than buying two separate machines?

yes, mine was.  I have a front-loading washer and dryer in the main part of my house which cost me about $1500.  The washer/dryer combo in the basement apartment was about $1300.  Here is a link to where I purchased mine. 

http://www.compactappliance.com/WM3431HS-LG-Direct-Drive-Ventless-Washer-Dryer-Combo/WM3431HS,default,pd.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk