You Had To See It To Believe It!

Started by Wilma, September 13, 2009, 12:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Something to look forward to.  The old uniforms.  Almost as good as a fashion show.

flintauqua

From wikipedia

For the 2009 season, commemorating the 50th anniversary of the founding of the American Football League and the Dallas Cowboys, the Cowboys and the eight charter members of the AFL will wear throwback uniforms from the early 1960s on select "Legacy Weekends."

flintauqua

From the Colorado Springs Gazette:

Broncos notes: Throwback uniforms have vertical-striped socks

October 07, 2009 12:40 PM

FRANK SCHWAB

THE GAZETTE

As this week's throwback jerseys have made it into their lockers, the Denver Broncos players can understand why there was a bonfire to burn them.

The Broncos and Patriots will wear throwback uniforms for Sunday's game to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the AFL. The Patriots got the better end of that deal.

Denver's uniforms will be yellow shirts with brown numerals, brown pants and the most infamous part of the 1960-61 style outfits: vertically striped yellow and brown socks.

"The design is awful," tight end Daniel Graham said.

Gene Mingo was one of the original Broncos players. He wore the colors in the first-ever AFL game between the Broncos and Patriots in 1960, and scored the game-winning points on a punt return for a touchdown. He said opposing fans would heckle the team and said they looked like clowns because of the hideous socks, but Mingo said he still loves the jerseys because he was proud to be a pro football player.

"You can talk about this brown and gold all you want," said Mingo, who wore the jersey at a press conference Wednesday and will be an honorary captain for Sunday's game. "It means a lot to me."

Jerseys won't be the only throwback aspect of Sunday's game. The Patriots will be referred to by their original "Boston Patriots" name throughout the game, cheerleaders will wear old-time uniforms and the program cover will have an early AFL feel. And Broncos coach Jim Saccomano said the vertical socks are a hot seller at the team store.

"I'm not upset I'm not wearing the vertical socks, but I think it's a neat thing for the league to wear the throwback uniforms," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "You might feel a little funny for half of pregame warmups but I think it's a great thing for the league."

Players aren't quite as excited to wear the uniforms.

"I love them, what are you all talking about?" safety Brian Dawkins said tongue-in-cheek. "It is what is. Whether you like them or not, it is what it is."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk