What Are You Doing For Excitement Today?

Started by Wilma, September 04, 2009, 07:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodbuster

Spent last night working with my fellow CERT members responding to the tsunami alert\warning here in California. Watched t.v. on the Japanese quake and tsunami too, but here in California the news was focused on the tsunami surges hitting the Northern California Coast. Now that I have I chance to take a breath; I am marveling at how something so far away can impact us all. The earthquake in Japan, the baby tsunami in California doing millions of dollars damage, the turmoil in the middle east. I have not seen this much turmoil since the 1960's, I don't think. Just pondering our existence at the moment and how fragile it all seems (I wonder if being in the fire has any b. earing on these thoughts? :laugh:). For the moment I am pondering the big picture, really big picture, and going in to philosophical/ theological mode. I need a break from our everyday rants on politics and Charlie Sheen. For excitement today I just posted this message and it made me feel better. ::)

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

Wilma

David, I am glad that posting helped you to feel better.  I can't imagine what the people on the coast are thinking.  Of course I am watching whatever I can about the earthquake, but still can't quite feature the horror and helplessness that these people must be feeling.  Maybe Kansas tornadoes aren't as bad as we make them out to be.

Diane Amberg

David, it sure is good to hear from you. All my California friends were on my mind yesterday, even the ones not on the coast. I'm glad things weren't any worse, bad enough as it was. It's a shame there was a death. Bless you for getting busy and helping out. I'm with you on having bad news overload.  On top of the world situation, when bad things happen on such a huge scale it's hard to get your mind around it. But it all gets broken down into grids and bite sized bits, the emergency folks start down the priority lists and eventually it all gets done. You get a gold star!

Ms Bear

It brought back a lot of memories, both of my mother's brothers were killed while Salmon fishing off the coast of Washington in Sept. 1971.  They were in an 18 foot boat and were hit by a 36 foot wave caused by an earthquake off the coast of Japan.  They didn't have any warning then.

Jane

:D I cleaned out my car, cut all the bushes back in the yard and now, IT IS ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK time 8) 8)

sodbuster

Quote from: Diane Amberg on March 12, 2011, 02:16:37 PM
David, it sure is good to hear from you. All my California friends were on my mind yesterday, even the ones not on the coast. I'm glad things weren't any worse, bad enough as it was. It's a shame there was a death. Bless you for getting busy and helping out. I'm with you on having bad news overload.  On top of the world situation, when bad things happen on such a huge scale it's hard to get your mind around it. But it all gets broken down into grids and bite sized bits, the emergency folks start down the priority lists and eventually it all gets done. You get a gold star!

Thanks Diane for the "gold star". Since I came from the generation before the "gold star" era; I will tell you that it is completely unecessary to give me a "gold star". I was compelled by my parents to get certified in lifesaving (swimming), first aid, and prepardness (Boy Scouts). It was continued in my mountaineering classes in high school. It is something that I enjoy and think is very important. It has served me well and been used in several instances. I had gotten away from it in the past few years. The fire in which I was saved by a neighbor, who risked his life to pull me out of a fire renewed my commitment. No gold star needed, just paying back what I was taught was the right thing to do( by my parents). My parents, Sergio, and Jess are the ones that deserve the gold star. By the way, the Monday after the Japan earthquake and tsunami ;we graduated 100 volunteers to add to the mix of our local CERT volunteers. My days of running into the danger are over, but I can still do my part.

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

ELK@KC

David, how old are you, I knew your Mother and I thought you boys were born in the 1960s.

Quote from sodbuster "I have not seen this much turmoil since the 1960's, I don't think."

sodbuster

Quote from: ELK@KC on March 14, 2011, 08:24:16 PM
David, how old are you, I knew your Mother and I thought you boys were born in the 1960s.

Quote from sodbuster "I have not seen this much turmoil since the 1960's, I don't think."

Elk@KC I was born Friday the 13th of January 1961. I am 50 years old and am wondering how I can stop all those AARP mailings. I am also, interested in hearing any stories about when you knew my Mom. Thanks for posting.

David

sodbuster

Making corned beef, potatos, cabbage, carrots a few days early. I have the rye bread, horseradish, Swiss cheese ready for sandwiches. Kiss me,  because for the next couple days I am Irish.

David

Diane Amberg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk