What Are You Doing For Excitement Today?

Started by Wilma, September 04, 2009, 07:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmar

Its very early in the morning and I'm on some pain meds.  For a minute i thought Bonnie was talking about dublin, california, which is right next door to me.  At any rate, for fun today I'm planning my trip to kansas.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Roma Jean Turner

Packing the car. Heading to Moline in the morning for a few days.  Bringing my bicycle.  Looking forward to a peaceful time.

Bonnie M.

Waldo, I loved the tuba concert!
Larry, good luck with your house guest, whether permanent, or temporary!
Roma Jean, I hope your week-end in Moline is as peaceful as you want it to be.
Anmar, I didn't know there was a Dublin, CA, but, I'm not surprised!  I'll soon be planning our trip to Kansas, also.  We always look forward to the activities around Memorial week/week-end, and of course, we will attend the Alumni Banquet in Longton.  We also like to stay over an extra week and attend "Hale Homecoming," as that is the community where I was "born and raised!"  The "Beason Boys" (they'd love it if they knew I called them that, I'm sure!) always host the event, and it's good to see those people we've known for so many years!
Bonnie

Roma Jean Turner

Thanks Bonnie.  I am hoping to be moved to Moline by Memorial Day.  My stepfather was a Hale.  I believe his father's name was Harry and he came from overy by Columbus.  Don't know if that fits into any of your Hales.

Bonnie M.

Actually, I should know, but I don't, about how the community of "Hale" got it's name.  "Probably," some people name "Hale" came through, and named the community.  (Duh!)  I wonder if Waldo, who can find out about anything, can find out how "Hale" got it's name?  (My Mother would expect that I would know the answer to this, but, obviously, I don't!)
Bonnie

W. Gray

There was a Hale northeast of Sedan in Salt Creek Township that had a post office from May 1882 to June 1907. It had Missouri Pacific rail service and had a population of 45 in 1910.

There was a notable man in U.S. and Kansas history by the name of Edward Everett Hale, but don't know if there is a connection.

He supposedly wrote the first book about Kansas in 1854 called Kanzas and Nebraska. He was a religious person associated with the Emigrant Aid Company of Boston formed to assist people who wanted to emigrate to Kansas. He had an interest in the anti-slavery movement in Kansas. He also became the Chaplain of the U.S. Senate.

Marcia is from Chautauqua County and she might have more information.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Someone named Hulda Hale, 1816-1883, is buried in the Hale Cemetery.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Bonnie M.

That all sounds good, Waldo.  Thanks for being such a great historian!  If we get to attend the "Hale Homecoming," I'll ask those who might know, about how the Community came to be.  But, what you found sounds good, and, so, I'm going with that!  I can remember the railroad going by right east of our house, at Hale.  They used to being in herds of "Texas Longhorn" cattle and would unload them , then the cowboys would drive them up the road, by our house, to their destination. 

I have two Uncles, who died very young, who are buried in the Hale Cemetery.  They were brothers to my father, and I'm sure they were born in the late 1800's.

Thanks again.
Bonnie

W. Gray

Bonnie M.

Bonnie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk