What Are You Doing For Excitement Today?

Started by Wilma, September 04, 2009, 07:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ms Bear

Jarhead, that is great.  Hope you find out if the F really is an E.

Wilma

I cleaned leaves out of flower beds.  I have been doing this for several days now.  Today my handyman came by and was cleaning up the leaves that I had cleaned out.  The usual procedure is to put them in the hole at the end of my bridge and burn them.  Everything was fine when the fire was started.  About an hour later the wind gusted and the leaves went flying, setting the dry grass on fire.  Unfortunately, the dry grass belongs to my neighbor.  My handyman was fighting the fire and had actually gotten ahead of it a bit when Mr. Henry Jacobs went by.  Not liking the way things looked, Mr. Jacobs turned around and came back.  His help was very much appreciated.  The fire was contained to a very small corner of the neighbors rather large lot.  Is there anywhere else in the world where the citizens look after each other the way they do here in Elk County?

jarhead

Yippee, found a first today,detecting---a 1904 Indian Head penny. Interesting relic find is a 1926 Longton dog tag. Guess local governments were gouging people way back when. :)

Ms Bear

Keep digging, Jarhead.  I am waiting to see what my dog digs up, he is down about 10 inches so far.  Amazes me how I can never fill the hole back with the dirt around it.  I wonder if he is eating some of it.

Four more days and I can start digging or whatever I want to do.  Taking leave for a few months and then decide if I want to go back part time. 

jarhead

Ms Bear, some more neat finds today. A solid brass padlock with a squiggly wiggly design embossed on one side and 'BELMONT" on the other. It's about an inch & quarter square, 1/4 inch thick. Even the thing-a-ma-bob that locks & unlocks is a strap of flat brass. As pretty as this thing is it had to be a padlock for the ladies.
Then found another brass token. one side says '"Commercial National Bank---1921---Independence, Kan. The reverse says" If you smile until 10 AM you will be happy rest of the day"
Found something I can't find out what it is. Round brass about the size of a half dollar---got letters all around it in just random order--then the back has a little hidden door like thing and it looks like it has had a pin soldered to it--I slid it open and inside was a 1935, like new, wheat-tail penny. Inside that little box it says Robbins Co. Atterboro, Mass. I think this thing had a face that's missing and you had to turn it to reveal the secret code, to open the box to get the penny. Maybe a Captain Midnight de-coder type thing---but that's just a wild guess. A 1911 Wheatie was the only other good find for the day.
Did talk to a friend down your way that "dirt fishes". Wilma "Flintstone " lives in Highlands / Baytown area. You should hook up with her and go find hidden treasures.

Teresa

I'll bet your wife is on her knees every single day thanking the good Lord for helping to put that metal detector in your grubby little paws.
It keeps you out of the house and and most likely gives her some much needed peace and quiet.. It also allows her time to fluff up the pillows on your napping bed and actually to have the recliner sitting upright empty instead of tilted back with a snoring body in it.. I imagine she is humming and singing a song to herself that has a line or two in it saying ..  

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

jarhead

You know Teresa, you remind me a whole lot of another McDonald I know. Speaking of that moron, he was just here begging me to take him fishing---to teach him how to become a master fisherman, like I am. As for Joyce, yes she fully supports my metal detecting but begs me to return home after a day of digging. She meets me at the door with a cold beer and asks if I'm tired and need a nap or my sore digging muscles need massaged and------ WHOP !!!---that's the sound of her smacking me upside the head for telling big ol windies---it happens quite often.

jarhead

Maybe that ol Sarge is good for something. I showed him my "find" with the penny in the hidden compartment. One look and the moron said," that's a Little Orphan Annie de-coder pin". Looked it up and he's right. I am missing the face though, but it is a 1936 model. What I read, the penny did not come with the pin but had that secret compartment to put in your own secret goodie----now to go back and find the rest of it.

Sarge

HA!!! It just kills ol tarhead to admit I was right about something, but he has a lot of practice admitting to that fact.
the older I get the more I know how little I knew when I knew it all

thatsMRSc2u

I am really enjoyin readin about your treasure huntin Jarhead :) I'm a rockhound myself but have some pretty cool bottles, canning jars and a crock cannin jar I've found diggin around in old storm cellars, arrowheads and crystals too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk