What Are You Doing For Excitement Today?

Started by Wilma, September 04, 2009, 07:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

So much excitement today.  First I looked out to the west early this morning to find the loveliest bright gold moon that I have ever seen.  It was positioned just over the county road shop.  The sky behind it was a dusty midnight blue that was a perfect background and since today is the 31st. it had to have been the blue moon.  Who knew that a bright gold blue moon could be so pretty.

Next, a little later I raised the east shade and there were clouds visible on the horizon.  You know what clouds are, don't you, those big fluffy things in the sky that sometimes block out the sun and rain on you.  Looked like a good beginning to a good day.  We made a trip to Wichita and left the clouds behind us, hoping that they would move in and rain while we were gone.  No such luck, they did move in but didn't rain.  This afternoon about 3:15, there was a little shower.  Hopefully there will be more.  Watching them moving from the northeast to the southwest might just be the highlight of my day.  I am hoping that they will turn loose with some real rain and soak up the ground.  That would be the highlight of my day.

redcliffsw

Today, I was in a grocery store in Souith Dakota and noticed a huge box full of hedgeballs.
These hedgeballs were about the size of a baseball, some a shade larger.  Must have been
picked early.  They were priced at 89 cents each.  The clerk said these hedgeballs were
from Kansas.   

That's today's hedgeapple market report as seen from here....

ddurbin

Did you happen to inquire, or did the clerk happen to mention for what the hedge apples were being used?

Wilma

I have noticed quite a good crop of hedgeballs on our trips to Wichita.  Could mean a harsh winter.

Ole Granny

Had a horse once that would not miss his stride and pick up a hedgeball.  Chief loved them.  We called him our easy keeper.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

redcliffsw

Quote from: ddurbin on August 31, 2012, 04:13:08 PM
Did you happen to inquire, or did the clerk happen to mention for what the hedge apples were being used?

Yeah, they said the hedgeballs in the house are to repel rodents and insects.

There's another grocery store selling them at $1.00 each.  Saw a lady buying some there.   

Instead of lemonade, kids might to consider the hedgeball market in Elk Co.  Would a bushel of 'em go for $40 or $50? 

Wilma

I have tried them as a repellant and it didn't work.  I have thought about going to the country and picking up some to put out in my grove for the little critters to snack on.  There might be a food shortage for them this year.

Diane Amberg

Speaking of rodents...When Al lifted the lid on our gas grill yesterday evening he noticed a tight round pile of leaves with a hole in the middle back in one corner. Up popped a cute little white footed field mouse who just sat there and looked at him for the longest time. Eventually he/she scampered off and dinner was delayed while the grill got scrubbed.

larryJ

It's a gorgeous Sunday morning here, but promises to be hot later.  My plans for today were to pick up my son and his family at the airport, well, actually tonight.  When I contacted him about verifying the flight arrival time, he informed me that I was getting senile and that he had already told me that they were not coming home until Thursday.  (Ingrate.)

Which means..............I noticed that the American Legion Post in Newport is having a band called the Surftones and they will be at the post today playing good ol' surf music and other oldies.  I had not planned on going because of having to pick up my son.  But now.....
I am free of that obligation today and we will, hopefully, be able to go to Newport Beach and have some lunch and listen to some groovy, yeah, I said groovy, music!  The weather will be great, the atmosphere will be great, the food is always great and all the people there are great.  Nothing like sitting alfresco, having a drink and some lunch, listening to some great music and watching the boats go up and down the bay! 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

Ya mean those liberal California American Legion folks let ya sit around in no clothes!  :o HA! Have a wonderful day and enjoy that music. I'd like to be there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk