What Are You Doing For Excitement Today?

Started by Wilma, September 04, 2009, 07:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roma Jean Turner

Got my Kansas license plate today and will get my driver's license tomorrow.  I am almost official.

Diane Amberg

Ya got your ruby slippers yet?
   Personally we're still watching the hurricane and starting to get ready just in case. Unfortunately, we've just had a lot of rain recently with another two inches predicted today. After all that time of needing some, we now have too much.That means the big shallow rooted trees here will topple easily if we get a big blow on Saturday night, which of course brings down the wires. The weather folks are having a really hard time predicting Irene's path.
I'm going to go soon and prepick what ever toms are even close to ripe because the tomato cages may not survive. Did also have some jiggled off during the little earthquake.

Mom70x7

Might be some time for fried green tomatoes - or green tomato relish?  :)

Ms Bear

Diane, I hope you and Al will be okay when Irene comes to visit.  Most of our damage here in Texas is usually from the downed trees, causing roof damage and power lines down.

We finally got about 1/2 inch of rain yesterday but need a lot more.

Diane Amberg

Mom, we were thinking the same thing.
  Ms Bear, we are worried, but will have done all we can do by the time it makes up it's mind. This house was built in 1962 so it has seen many storms, but this will be the first challenge for my newish roof and siding. Not sure the siding can take it but the 90mph rated roof should. I'm still worried about the garage door. It's a weak spot.
People are hauling in their boats and watching the coasts very carefully because as luck would have it, it will be astrological high tide at the same time, so the flooding and storm surge would be worse than usual.  My girlfriend in Wimington NC sees so much of this they are really nonplussed about the whole thing. Also have several friends who were going to be on the Outer Banks on Saturday. Not now, forced evacuations have been called for some areas there, especially down on Ocracoke where it's all ferry to get off the island.
I'd be happy to send all of you some of this rain. Still watching and waiting.

Ms Bear

For me it was the waiting to see how bad it was going to be, the house was built in 1942 and I didn't feel the wind but the days without power afterwards.  It was so dark and quiet at night.  Ike hit us on Friday night and I was able to go back to work on Monday, we were without power for a week.  It was cool enough that I was able to sleep even without the a/c.

Don't think I will leave for one again, before Rita traffic was horrible, twelve hours to go to Lufkin which is normaly less than an hour and a half.  I will probably leave afterwards until power is back on.  Depends on how bad it is.

I think the biggest diference is how well prepared you and your town are.  Our hospital even closed the emergency room and it was at least 20 miles to the nearest one, that was rather scary.  I have heard that they won't be allowed to do that again.

Be safe.

farmgal67357

Quote from: kshillbillys on August 23, 2011, 03:30:48 PM
Oh yes, we watch Are You Being Served. That would be what they call cats over there. Ms. Slocombe was always talking about her "pussies"...Here it pretty much takes on a whole new meaning.

And that's why is soooo dang funny! The guys in the Menswear section always seem to get it too.... ;D And how about Mrs. Slocombe's purple then green hair?
Lisa
funny stuff
Lisa

Diane Amberg

Now is the hard time...waiting. I've been in contact with my friend June at Wilmington NC. high water, lots of tree damage but a good spirit. She sent me photo of a store and the sign out front says "We'll be open until the letters fly off this sign."  How great is that!?

greatguns

Got some Christmas shopping done.  That is always exciting and fun.

Diane Amberg

Wow! and I thought I shopped early. Good for you, and it is fun isn't it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk