Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway

Started by W. Gray, August 29, 2009, 10:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Jarhead ask me to post this picture..

Elk Falls Depot

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

W. Gray

Thanks,

Scenes of horses together (both four-legged and iron) always make great photography.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

sixdogsmom

My dad retired from ATSF after 40 years. He started as an assistant boiler maker; his job was cleaning the scale from inside the boilers at the North Wichita shops. He worked in the yards all that time except for WWII, when he worked in an aircraft plant as a welder. He was very skilled, we have a small piece that had been sent to Washington as an example of the work they were doing. He was very proud of that. I have a large photo of a steam engine and all the yard workers.
Edie

flintauqua

Quote from: Diane Amberg on August 31, 2009, 10:55:23 AM
May I ask a question about the photo?

I believe that is what a forum is for.  To discuss things and ask questions. ;D

frawin

Jarhead, is there a date on the Elk Falls Depot picture?  Wondered if you have any names on it as well?  My mother grew up in the Elk Falls community and went to high school there. 
Myrna

Diane Amberg

What is sitting right next to the engine? There is part of a cart showing that looks like it has wheels that would fit on the track and some sort of containers, but I don't think they are for milk. Then there is the two wheeled cart in front of it that has a driver but no horse? Am I blind?  ;D

flintauqua

I took the photo over into photoshop and blew it up.  I believe the cart next to the track does have milk cans on it.  (Remember things other than milk were shipped in said cans)  The gentleman in white shirt and dark pants and hat is standing between the "milk cart" and the two wheel cart that is not hitched up to anything.

Depot was on south side of the tracks, basically in the middle of Sedgwick St. between 5th and 6th, according to 1887 plat by L.H. Everts & Co., so we are looking east, train is westbound.  This is confirmed by the shadows in the photo.

That's all I can make out at the moment.

Charles

Diane Amberg

W. Gray

The milk cans look like they are on a standard RR baggage wagon.

I am wondering if those particular milk cans are made of something different from the metal milk cans that most of us would be most familiar with. Some web sites speak of tin milk cans and some speak of galvanized milk cans.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk