VICK, John Roland - b. November 19,1944 - d. May 25, 1957

Started by genealogynut, September 25, 2006, 03:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant-Citizen
May 30, 1957

John Roland Vick, younger son of Mr. and Mrs. Roland Vick of Howard died from injuries from a shotgun blast received Saturday afternoon May 25th, while playing with one of his closest friends in the Vick home. He was rushed towards a hospital but passed away before his arrival.  Johnny was loved by everybody, young and old, and deepest sympathy is extended to the family and other relatives.

Memorial services were held at the Moon Chapel in Howard at 2:00 p.m., Monday, May 27, with the Rev. LeeoNelson, his former pastor and friend of Topeka, officiating.  Mrs. Lee Roy Veach was soloist with Mrs Darrel Vinette accompanist. The casket bearers were Eddie B. Henry, Carl Rex Armstrong, Robert Miller, Ted Mullenburg, Scott Perkins and Robert C. Sloan.  Concluding services and burial were at Grace Lawn Cemetery, Howard.

The following, part of the minister's remarks at the services, fittingly tells the story of a short and busy life of a fine boy, deeply loved and admired by all.

"Between the innocence of baby hood and the dignity of manhood, there is a special creation of God that is called a boy.  Such a creation was John Roland Vick, who came to be a part of Lucille and Roland Vick's life on November 19, 1944, and he shared this love with his older brother, Glenn."

"Such boys as Johnny are special in the hearts of their parents, special because they are theirs and so very typical in his likes of worms and frogs, dirt and other boys, food and ice cream, hunting, fishing, and pets, fire engines, and Christmas."

"As it is with all of God's creation, Johnny found all of life interesting and vital and he was encouraged by those who loved him to grow in the wisdom and stature of the Christian life.  He began his spiritual growth when he was dedicated in baptism while yet a baby."

"As he matured under the guidance of his family, he began to see life as more than more frogs and dirt, but as a time of service to God and His church, as a time of service to others.  During these later years of his life he had the normal experiences of questioning God's ways and began to see life's real  meaning dimly."

"Now that he has gone so suddenly to live with God, he understands all of these questions and more than we who are left will never understand until we meet again with him.'

"Besides his parents and brother, there are others who are thankful for the years that were given to them to spend with him.

There are grandparents and uncles and aunts and cousins who will long remember Johnny the Boy who became a Man."

genealogynut

In this obituary, it is unclear to me whether Johnny was born to Roland and Lucille Vick, or if they may have adopted him.  I do know that after Johnny's death, a few years later, Roland and Lucille were foster parents to another son.

I remember when this terrible accidental death of Johnny's occurred.

Janet Harrington

I believe, and I could be wrong (NOT), that he was their natural child.  The brother that survived was their natural child.  The young man that they raised, Vernon Hughes, was not any relation, but was a brother to Sandy Wells, the girl adopted by Cleland Wells and his wife.  Vernon Hughes, his sister Sandy, his sister, Donna, his sister, Ruth, and his two half brothers, Carl and Gary Arndt, were the children of Pearl Sweet.  Pearl was an aunt to my husband, Jim.  She was a sister to Dorothy Sweet Harrington.  I would have to ask Jim, but I think that Vernon was in high school before he came to live with the Vicks.  They sure did love him.  He lives outside of Coffeyville with his wife, Jane, and they do come up here once or twice a year.  He especially comes to decorate the graves.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk