Upola

Started by W. Gray, August 23, 2009, 02:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalexander

I may be wrong but I think you are talking about this locomotive. (Thanks Waldo for the distinction)

ATSF 1947 Big  Prairies #1819
Howard Branch: Locomotives
Prairies: 1014, 1018, 1019, 1025, 1038, 1073, 1079, 1114, 1134.
Big prairies: 1801, 1819, 1820, 1825, 1838
Mikes: 3102, 3105, 3109, 3114, 3124.
http://www.atsfrr.org/resources/Sandifer/Howard/Consist/Locomotives/Locomotives.htm

Now in Lamar, Co
Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway No. 1819 2-6-2

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/state.cfm?state=Colorado

A number of the steamers used on the Howard Branch have been preserved: 1015 (Emporia, KS), 1050 (Independence, KS), 1073 (Lawrence, KS), 1079 (Coffeyville, KS), 1819 (Lamar, CO), and 1880 (Newton, KS).

W. Gray

David,

It would not be a train unless there were trailing cars.  ;D But you were right about the location.

Jarhead,

The Howard Branch locomotives web site is at
http://atsfrr.net/resources/Sandifer/Howard/Consist/Locomotives/Locomotives.htm

It says a number of the steamers used on the Howard Branch have been preserved: 1015 (Emporia, KS), 1050 (Independence, KS), 1073 (Lawrence, KS), 1079 (Coffeyville, KS), 1819 (Lamar, CO), and 1880 (Newton, KS).

I tracked those numbers down as follows:
1015 is on display at Fremont Park, Emporia, KS.

1050 is on display at Riverside Park, Independence, KS.

1073 is on display at Watson Park, Emporia, KS.

1079 is on display at W. Johnson Memorial Park, Coffeyville, KS

1819 is on display behind the Amtrak depot, Lamar, CO.

1880 is on display at Military Park, in Newton, KS.

The Durango and Silverton steam roster is at
http://www.drgw.net/info/index.php?n=Main.DSNGRoster

And, it does seem to say they might have rebuilt some standard gauge locomotives into narrow gauge. I don't think any of them were Santa Fe, though.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

Had coffee this morning with an old timer that grew up in the Upola area. I tried to pick his brain. Best he remembers is that Richard Kimzey was the last person to be buried in the cemetary and that was 3-4 years back.
  The hay barns, one was owned by Ira Rothgeb and the other was BM ( Meade ) Edwards. They both were destroyed by a tornado in the 30's and built back.  They both had hay crews that would put the hay up, barn it, and sell it to Ira & B.M. Roy & Carl Workman's hay crew was one of B. M.'s . The hay was loaded into box cars in the winter and shipped off.
The brick building next to the RR tracks was originally a store and never a school. Upola school was east of there a "piece" and the cement steps can still be seen on the north side of the road. Upola school was formed after the one room schools of Lone Star, Ohio and North Oak Ridge consolidated. Greatguns mother was this old timers teacher in one of those schools. My dad taught in one and they had a sister teach in the other one. I'm not sure but I think to become a teacher back in them days all you had to do was go to Pittsburg, Ks, take a test, and if you passed , you were a teacher.I asked the old timer about that lone grave east of Upola. He said I need to learn my directions because it was west of the RR tracks. It was the grave of a small girl that had died when some settlers were heading west by wagon. They buried her there then years later came back and put up a head stone.

redcliffsw

What happened to the second set of hay barns that are no longer there?

jarhead

They were still being used to store hay in as late as the 60's, maybe early 70's when one night they were set afire and burned to the ground. About the same time there was a huge pile of hay bales at Zollars corner and a hay barn at Oak valley that all "caught" fire.

greatguns

My Mother and that old timer are in agreement about where the grave is located and who is buried there.  I believe my Mother taught at Ohio.

Buddyboy

Where is Zollars corner? Never heard of that. I have heard of Zollars Hill but have never figured out where it is either.

jarhead

Zollers curve is at the foot of Zollers hill. It's about half way between Longton & Oak Valley on US 160. The "newbies" of nowdays call it Dead Mans Curve. Been a passle of wrecks on that curve.

Guns, ask your Mom if she knows which of those country schools my Dad taught a year or two at and which ones their other two sisters taught at. i think Aunt Mary Ellen taught at one too.
OK, so I was wrong about a steam engine from the Howard Branch and now wrong about which direction that grave was. Guess that makes it where I have been wrong twice in my life-----OK ??? :)

flintauqua

Which curve?  As you're going east, is it as you leave the flat and go up and the the right, before Road 28?  Or is it the completely blind curve to the left, just as you get to Evergreen?

Charles

greatguns

Jarhead, your Dad taught at Lone Star,  Beuna taught at North Oak Ridge, although her first year of teaching was at Border.  Marie taught at Cove and Stoney Point.  Mary Ellen taught at Frog Hollow and Buxton.  Mother wanted to know if you talked to an old timer, just what does that make her? ;) ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk