Howard Chamber welcome booklet

Started by Joanna, August 19, 2009, 12:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanna

The Chamber is working on making a "welcome" booklet to provide to new area residents.
We're hoping to get a lot of info that would be helpful to people new to the area.  I have information on all the Chamber members and a few other folks that I know myself, however if you have a business and would like it listed in the booklet... email me with the name and contact info. Also a brief note to tell me what kind of business it is (some are hard to tell from the name ;D)

Right now the plan is to give the booklets out to new area residents as they sign up for city utilities, and to new rural residents as we are made aware of them.  I'm hoping to have them printed in October sometime, depending on how long it takes to get the information gathered and put in booklet form.

Chamber members will get a free ad in the booklet, but all area businesses that send me contact info will be included in the directory.  Chamber membership is only $15 a year, so that might be something to consider as well.

I want to include non-profit service groups and clubs too, so please contact me with that info.

If you send me an email, PLEASE include the Name with address/phone/email/web address   as is available so I don't have to look it all up myself.  THANKS!
mjhunter@sktc.net

flintauqua

Joanna,

I believe Laura Fry and Vicky Wedman over at the courthouse have been working on updating the county-wide business directory, so you might want to touch base with them also.

Charles

Joanna

Thanks! I was planning a trip to the courthouse tomorrow to get all the county office info. It would be great if they have things already gathered!

Anmar

Could this booklet be available for visitors as well?
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Tobina+1

Great idea!  Wonder if a welcome packet would include coupons for local biz, too?  Or 1-2 items from local biz?

Joanna

Tobina, the plan is for the book to include a listing of all local businesses and be handed out to new area residents.  Those businesses and individuals that are members of the Howard Chamber will be able to put in an ad or a coupon for free.  The booklet is sponsored by the Howard Chamber of Commerce, Inc...

We used to do welcome baskets with some items from area businesses, but had lots of 'issues'; getting items to put in the baskets, keeping them current, and especially delivery when so many people are concerned about privacy issues and it became difficult to find out about the new residents.  The baskets were appreciated by folks who received them, but those who didn't really felt cheated and ... well ... the booklets are our way of working around those problems.

I've had several people ask about giving them out to all area residents and I think that's a good idea, but will have to see how expensive they end up being to print; since we are not charging anyone for the booklets and not charging Chamber members for the advertising.  We have already had a donation toward the cost though, and Jenny at the Prairie Star has offered to see what they can do to help, so it's still a possibility.

flo

how bout another two cents on this project? I'm one that never received the "welcome basket" for whatever reason.  Even though I have lived in Howard four years now, there are still so many things I don't know and have to ask someone (usually my son-in-law or Gleneva Winn).  It was mentioned about this booklet to be available to all residents and I do understand the cost.  Would it be feasible to have them available at the city office for those people who already live here and let us pay a small fee to cover the cost of printing, etc.?  Just an idea for you to toss around because I think this is a very good idea.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Joanna

Thanks for the feedback Flo.  Great input.
I'm still hoping for the free idea though. Maybe not a mail out, but I think if people were willing to put out the effrot to go to the city office and pick one up... 
We're still in the working it up stage... I'll keep you informed!

dnalexander

Why not publish it to the web in addition to the hard copy? It would not cost much to do so. There are many locals that use the internet and this forum The coupons could be printed out. It would cover visitors. It would be of interest to those of us that have ties to EK, but live elsewhere. I think that this forum proves that there are many people in EK, interested in EK, wanting to move to EK, or visit EK that find this forum and have internet access. Sell the hard copy on the web. Just some suggestions.

David

Jo McDonald

Flo, that is a great idea.  This is a difficult thing to complete, and make it a working project.  Kudoos to all those that are working
on this, and we wish you all the success that will meet your expectations.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk