Veterans Memorial

Started by patyrn, August 21, 2009, 10:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

We were in Howard last weekend and were so excited to see the progress on the Veterans Memorial being constructed in Jackson Park!  The stonework is very impressive, straight from Elk County craftsmen using Elk County limestone (I think it is).  The engraved plaques commemorating all branches of the military and the Legion and Auxiliary will be "honoring all veterans", past, present, and future, for generations to come.  Carter-Rader American Legion Post #149 and their Auxiliary have worked hard holding fundraisers to fund this project along with donations from generous folks in Howard and the surrounding communities. We are so proud of all those who have served our country so that we may cherish our freedoms!

I believe the dedication of this memorial will be held in conjunction with the Elk River Festival in September.

Joanna

Here are a couple pictures of the project "so far". I'm sure the rain set them back a little, but you can see the bulk of it is finished and it looks GREAT!

I put some pictures of Howard on my facebook albums.  I don't know if I can put the link here and make it work, but I'll try
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28061&id=1520725479&saved#/album.php?aid=28061&id=1520725479

Mom70x7

That was fun!

Wonderful pictures.

Jo McDonald

WOW!!!  You are getting good at "this picture stuff', girl  Thank you --- it really is nice and will be appreciated by all, I am sure.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

redcliffsw

Are the Civil War vets iincluded?  Confederates?

redcliffsw

It says "Honoring All Veterans".

So does the Memorial include Civil War veterans?  Confederate?

patyrn

There will be a flag pole in the "Honoring All Veterans" section in the middle with a spotlight illuminating it.

patyrn

Not from my viewpoint..................................

flo

I have thought this was a very good project right from the very first.  Honoring ALL VETERANS means just that, regardless of which war they fought in.  Please don't try to bring this to a "nit pickin' argument".  Just respect it and accept it for what it is and what it stands for.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

patyrn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk