Elk County Medical Society

Started by W. Gray, August 16, 2009, 09:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

The Elk County Medical Society held a meeting for the purpose of election of officers for 1913, December 18, 1912, at secretarys' office, Howard, Kansas.

Dr. F. K. Day read a very interesting paper on his experience with "78 Congestive Cases of Confinement."

Members present: Dr. Clinton Beasley, Moline; Dr. F. K. Day, Longton; Dr. Burgess B. Mason, Grenola; Drs. J. F. Costello, J. L. Hay, R. C. Harner and F. L. Depew, Howard.

Officers elect: President, J. F. Costello, Howard; vice-president, R. C. Harner, Howard; secretary-treasurer, F. L. De Pew, Howard; Censors, 2 years, Clinton Beasley, Moline; 1 year, F. K. Day, Longton.

This was the best meeting in two years.

F. L. DE PEW, Secretary

Kansas Medical Society Journal

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

patyrn

I remember my parents reminiscing about Dr. Depew and "Ol' Doc" Harner.  They were probably pretty amazing guys to keep track of a variety of ailments and treating them with small town equipment and expertise.  House calls were very common, too.

W. Gray

I can remember doctors' house calls as a kid. I think the at home call was $5. No one went to the hospital unless it was life or death.

An ambulance call was $25 and people complained that price was outrageous.

When I was a little guy, my dad made $59 per week and we were covered by Travelers medical insurance. However, that insurance did not cover doctors or ambulances and not all of the hospital cost.

Our house was quarantined twice after a doctor's visit. There was a large red "QUARANTINED" sign put by a county health official on the front of the house next to the door.  That happened once for measles and once for chicken pox.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk