Where in Elk County Am I?

Started by flintauqua, August 13, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddurbin

Alrighty then.  Guess we'll kick it back to Waldo to find us a new spot to locate.

W. Gray

Sorry, I have been out for awhile.

Find and name the highest named point in Elk County, Kansas.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

It has to be the hill that I can see straight west of me (Howard) at about road 8.  It has a name but I can't recall it right now.

W. Gray

It is not straight west of Howard.

Here is what one web site says about this mystery point:

"......... is a mountain summit in Elk County in the state of Kansas."

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Wilma, this may be the hill straight west of Howard you are thinking about, but I am not sure.

http://abyss.kgs.ku.edu/pls/abyss/pubcat.phd1.View_Photo?f_id=1259&f_hd=Y

Wilma

I have never been to the top of this particular hill, but it looks a lot like the road down from the top of the hill at the Green Ranch.  The fence in the corner isn't right for the Green Ranch and the road looks to be longer.  haven't been there for more than five years, though.   I am going to take another look at it.  My mother's barn could be seen from the Green Ranch hill.

Wilma

There is an almost indiscernible spot where my mother's barn would be, but I don't think it is the same road. 

flintauqua

Wilma, I agree.  I don't think this is the Green Ranch Hill, aka "Mt. Jesus".  The divergent angle between the fence and the road, the large pond on the left, and the slight curve to the right before the road goes down into the river valley leads me to believe this is on Rock Road looking east from the environs of the Farrell and/or Roby on the left, and the Youngmeyer on the right.

I'm pretty sure this picture is from the top of the Green Ranch hill:

http://www.backroadstouring.org/kansas/index.htm

Sorry, that only went to the homepage, not the picture I intended to present.  Try this one:

http://www.backroadstouring.net/btk/04_21_07/136-3616_img.jpg

Waldo,

Is our target the highest point in Elk County that has a name recognized by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names branch of the U. S. Geological Survey, meaning the highest named point on a topographical map of Elk County?

Charles

W. Gray

Wilma

That does look like the Green Ranch hill, including the sunflowers.  I have seen it like that many times.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk