Where in Elk County Am I?

Started by flintauqua, August 13, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintauqua

Quote from: W. Gray on August 21, 2009, 09:07:37 AM
Note that Kansas governors at one time served two year terms.

"This was the first election in which candidates for Kansas governor and lieutenant governor ran as a team and were elected to four-year, instead of two-year, terms.

"What year was this, and who was victorious?

W. Gray

Diane,

I think you got it backward.

One other note about Arthur Capper, he was the first native Kansan to serve as governor. He was not born in Longton, though. He was born in Garnett.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flintauqua

Waldo,

I don't know of a Kansas Governor with the initials H. J.

Diane,

Neither J.H., James Harvey or John Michael (Mike) Hayden, is correct.  Though one is much closer to the answer than the other.

Charles

flintauqua

One of us is looking at an incorrect list of Kansas Governors.  The one I have doesn't have any C.E or P.E.

Or you are using first and middle initials, my list doesn't have all of the middles.

Closer to Docking than Stanley.

W. Gray

I misunderstood the question and came up with Henry Justin Allen, 1919-1923.
Sorry.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

redcliffsw

I'll say Bennett from 1974 to 78.

flintauqua

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!!

http://www.kshs.org/research/topics/politics/essay_governors.htm

Hopefully Dan will be on soon to release Waldo or I to post the next geography hide and seek.

Charles

W. Gray

For the record the referenced web site says the

first election in which candidates for Kansas governor and lieutenant governor who ran as a team and were elected to four-year, instead of two-year, terms was in 1974 with Robert F. Bennett from Overland Park in Johnson County was elected governor.

Up until the 1974 election governors served two-year terms.

Bennett's lieutenant governor was Shelby Smith from Wichita.

W. Gray

Lt Governors served two year terms also but ran independently in the same election as the governor.

And, the result could be the governor and lt governor being of different parties much like the President and Vice President of the US could be of different parties in the early days.

A book on the Kansas Constitution says nothing about the governor and lt governor running together as a team nowadays have to be of the same party. But for all practical purposes.....

Someone with Kansas voting experience help out here.

ddurbin

My apologies.  Didn't mean to hold up the next quest.  I think I'll bend the rules a little already and pass the baton to Diane to pick the next location.  She's been a great player so far, and you two have both already had a shot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk