Where in Elk County Am I?

Started by flintauqua, August 13, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintauqua

I'm pretty sure they are traveling from Inde, and would have struck the Elk County line at N 37.32359 W 95.96442.

I know the prominent last name of Uncle John, Aunt Anne and son Alfred.  What I can't figure is who the "first" person is; that is Alfred's cousin.  And, were they all traveling to Elk County, or just the nephew/neice/cousin? 

And since Dan seems to not pay any attention to the personal messages I send him . . . . Maybe I'll try to find the answer at Walgreens.

Charles

ddurbin

Congratulations you two.  Together you've got it.  I'm traveling west from Independence on the AT&SF railroad and just crossed into Elk County east of Oak Valley.  I'm actually not related to John, Anne and Alfred, just needed to use them as a connection to Independence to give you a starting point.  Charles, would you like to enligthen us as to who they are?
BTW, I did answer your pm. 
Also, cousin John N. is in the area.  He stopped by last night.

flintauqua

GEEERRR!!!!  Do you know how much time I've wasted trying to figure out who in the heck ALFred LANDON's cousin was.    >:( >:( ::) ::)

BTW, if you happen to know where John and Anne or buried, the political graveyard site would like to know.

Now, what perchance does Walgreens have to do with Alf Landon?

Charles

flintauqua

Dan,

Is there a house in Longton associated with the Landon family?  Try not to go off an a "cooperative" tangent.

Charles

W. Gray

I think Longton's claim to fame was Arthur Capper who was a two term governor of Kansas from 1915 to 1919 and a five term US Senator from1919 to 1949. Note that Kansas governors at one time served two year terms.

Would be interesting to know if his childhood home in Longton is still standing.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

Waldo, Longton city boys demolished  the Capper house  3-4 years back. It was on main street and got to be such an eye sore and unsafe. Down she went !!

W. Gray

Well, that is too bad but better safe than sorry.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flintauqua

Waldo,

I was trying not to bring up Arthur Capper, as it could be a future target or clue for the game.

"Cooperative" alluded to the Capper-Volsted act, which is basically the birth certificate of the agricultural, hardware, and grocery distribution cooperative system we have today.

Too bad about his one time home in Longton.  Alf Landon's in Independence fared much better when Walgreens came to town:

http://www.landoncenter.com/Default.asp

Charles

W. Gray

Jarhead,

Is Longton's Brighton Hall still standing? If so, what is it?

jarhead

Yes ,it's still standing but for how long I don't know. It was our city office and community center until a year or so back. High wind / tornado ripped off part of the roof and now part of it is the city 'kiddies wading pool" :) Last I heard they were talking about trying to get a grant and fix the ol girl up while others want her torn down. Kshillbilly probably knows more about it than me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk