Where in Elk County Am I?

Started by flintauqua, August 13, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintauqua

Yes, you are correct.  So which part of the county was settled first?  And remember, we're just narrowing down the geographic area.  The exact spot from the first clue is much more specific.

More clues later today.
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

frawin

The first area settled was the ne part near Fall River

flintauqua

The site I'm standing at was patented from the General Land Office by Lydia C. Harsin in 1891 1881, though by 1885 ownership had changed to a Mr. Gibson.

Sorry about the typo.  Thanks to Brother Dan for catching it.

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

flintauqua

In 1885 there was a building adjacent to my south, but it doesn't show up on a 1903 map.  In 1939 this building shows up again, but on the other side of the road and a half-mile away.  T. I Wooddall either liked this name enough to name his farm the same thing, or this building took the name of his farm.

flintauqua

Okay, I've had a FB message with the correct location about midday yesterday, followed by Forum PM late last night.  But like before, since they have answered privately, we can keep the game going a little longer. 

The hill I am looking at across the road was visited by what is now a section of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in 1940.  They left behind several bronze disks set in concrete, each containing at a minimum the name of the land owner at the time and the year, giving this local a third name - its geodetic "station name".

flintauqua

Oh, I forgot.  The number 150 used to mean something to the area also.

flintauqua

Is anyone playing?

Perhaps this spot has a third name because Sinter Klaas kept landing here thinking he was home.

flintauqua

Brother Dan and redcliffsw both got this earlier, and no one has guessed since, so I guess I'll reveal.

It's Mt Zion (aka North Pole) Cemetery in the center of Section 28 TS 28S R 12E.  The building for school district #150 (North Pole) used to sit just south of the cemetery and the hill across the road was marked Fleming by the Coast and Geodetic Survey.

Attached are snips from the 1885 Davy Atlas of Elk County, 1903 Ogle Standard Atlas of Elk County, and the USGS topographic map of the area as accessed on acmemapper.

If anyone is interested in continuing the game, please let me know.  If we do, the next round will start June 6.

Wilma

Even though I don't know enough about Elk County to actually play, I am enjoying the game.

Mom70x7

Same as Wilma - I enjoy the game, please continue. My knowledge of Elk County is the same or worse than Wilma's, but this is one way to learn. Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk