Where in Elk County Am I?

Started by flintauqua, August 13, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintauqua

Last set of clues.

I am about a mile upstream of a Big Caney Joint Watershed District Dam that the USGS National Atlas has misnamed as Elk River Upper Ws Dam 36.

Anyone that might try to fly into the defunct grass landing strip on the flat above and to the east of me would have to be very careful not to hit the three wind towers that are in the NE 1/4 of the section that I am smack dab in the middle of.
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

flintauqua

I've now received a third correct answer, and the first from a non-family member, so I will reveal the location. 

N 37.42533 W 96.48071

In the center of Sec 24, Township 30S, Range 8E is the word EAGLEHEAD spelled out in rock.  This refers to the West Eagle Head Ranch that is shown on the 7.5 min topographical maps available at:  http://mapper.acme.com/  A snip of the topo and of the satellite image available at the same site are attached.

This is on land now owned by the Jack Bannon family, but which had previously been part of a then much larger Ferguson Ranch.  The 1903 Ogle Standard Atlas of Elk County shows the land being part of the large B. F. Boys land holdings, and in 1885 the area was owned by Henry Clement and J. W. McNulty, as shown on the Davy Atlas of Elk County.

1903 Ogle Atlas:  http://www.kansasmemory.org/item/209401/page/15

1885 Davy Atlas:  http://www.kansasmemory.org/item/223994/page/21

My first cousin Randy Durbin was the first to contact me with a correct identification, and had inadvertently assisted my brother Dan Durbin in narrowing it down, and he was the second to guess correctly.  Both had located the satellite image of the location.  Our first responder in this round, Janet Harrington, PM'ed me just a little while ago with a correct indentification, based solely on the clues, as she could not actually find it on a mapping site.

If anyone would like me to continue this game, please let me know, either here or in a personal message.  If so, I would probably post a new target every two to three weeks.

If anyone else would like to post a location of their choosing for others to try and locate, please feel free to do so.  I and others would look forward to the hunt.

Charlie

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Wilma

I had a feeling that it might have something to do with Eaglehead, but since I didn't know that it existed and I couldn't find anything, I just waited.  Yes, Charlie, please continue to provide entertainment for us.  I am not likely to recognize anything since I didn't grow up in Elk County but it is fun trying.

Janet Harrington

Excellent. Yes, Charlie, let's do this again.

flintauqua

The game is afoot!

I'm standing in a spot that has two different names, looking across the road at a hill that a government agency calls something different yet.

Where in Elk County am I?

Janet Harrington

I guess I am needing more clues to figure this on out. So I wait.

flintauqua

When Howard County was organized in 1870, there were only three townships.  Now there are ten townships in just Elk County.  Two of these carry the name of an original from Howard County.  I am in one of these two townships.

frawin

Charlie, is it Painterhood or Union Center?

flintauqua

Those two are not among the three original townships of Howard County.  The township I am in contains the area that was first settled in the County, by five families in 1864, though one of the five had tried as early as 1856.

frawin

Charlie it must be Elk Falls or Liberty, Bellville is not in existence today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk