Where in Elk County Am I?

Started by flintauqua, August 13, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Charles and Dan, you got me for sure. If I ever knew about that one I forgot. I am aware of several other unnamed Cemeteries in Elk County, but wasn't aware of that one. I have been looking everywhere to find something in the subject section.  It was fun anyway. THANKS

Diane Amberg

Are there Wilsons and Sallees buried there?

flintauqua

There are definitely Sallees there, I have seen the tombstone.  My sister Roberta, and Brian and Darrin Clubine (and possibly some more Moline youth) and I visited the site once in the early '80s.  I'll let Brother Dan speak about his visit(s).

Don't know about Wilsons.  The various generations have lived on that section well over 100 years, so I wouldn't be surprised.

For the record, location is:  N 37.36705 W 96.37586 or NW corner, NE1/4, SW 1/4, Sec 12, T31S, R9E.

It is visible at highest resolution on acme mapper, and it does appear on the 1903 Elk County Plat Map:

http://www.kansasheritage.org/orsh/byco/orshcoek2.htm

and:

http://www.kansasmemory.org/item/209401/page/14

redcliffsw

Having been to this small cemtery, the only names I recall are Sallee.
The markers are made of local stone. 

flintauqua

Okay,  Frank for your efforts at the last one, you can go next or decide who goes next.

In the meantime, here is a really quick, purely topographical one:

I'm the highest spot in Elk County that does not drain to the Verdigris River.

frawin

Charles, I just got home and found your post. I think it is in the far NW corner where Grouse Creek starts and goes South and ultimately ends up in the Arkansas River. I will search some more.

flintauqua

Yes in the NW part of the county, but maybe not quite as far north as most would think.

frawin

Charles it looks like to me it is Section 34, T-29S, R-38E

flintauqua

That was Dan's first guess (via pm).  I told him he was ten feet too low.  You're also a little too far north.

frawin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk