Where in Elk County Am I?

Started by flintauqua, August 13, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ms Bear

My teenage years were spent in the desert in Arizona many miles from anywhere and the only radio stations that came in clear were KOMA and Del Rio.  We couldn't get them until after about 8 pm but after that they over powered all the other stations.

larryJ

I remember the Corner Cafe because they made the biggest Cheeseburgers, way before quarterpounders.  My buddy and I were on a double date there and we had a contest to see who could eat one of those cheeseburgers in less bites.  I won eating in only five huge bites.  (Hmmm---that could explain the "bigmouth!")  Anyway, there was another cafe across the street and more in the center of the block that I can't remember the name of, or maybe I just didn't know the name at the time.  However, one of my friends mother worked in the "five and dime" that I referred to as Woolworths.  And, I believe that store was right next to the cafe.  Maybe it was the dairy bar.  I don't want to give out names as there might be lawsuits and such.   :-X   ;D  Suffice to say, my son and I drove through Moline in 2002 just for a quick tour before going on to Howard.  I was saddened by so many places closed.  I hope that there has been some revitalization to the town since then.  I found it difficult at first to remember where all my friends lived, but I got oriented after a while and took a cruise down memory lane. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

flintauqua

Quote from: Wilma on September 09, 2009, 10:06:01 AM
One that comes to mind, though, is Buttermilk Hill.  But that won't take long for some oldtimer to find.

OK, you 'old timers' have talked about this Buttermilk Hill, now enlighten us youngins as to which hill this is.

frawin

Charles, going South of Howard on Highway 99, after you cross the Elk River Bridge it is the first road on the East side of the Highway, the road goes South South East, Buttermilk Hill is about a 3/4 of a mile down the road, if you have ever been down that road it is the only hill on it, the road is only a mile then you have to turn East or West back to 99 Highway.
The turn off of 99 is also the same road to go to the Hunter place, or right across the highway from the road to the old Guy V. Denton place.
Frank

larryJ

Second note on this:  I forgot to expand on the KOMA radio station.  For a few years during my teens my mother and I lived in SE Colorado and like Ms Bear says the station only came in at night.  So we would just cruise and sing along.  I can remember one night that the station would announce that they were going to play such and such a song and then played a song called Churchkey Twist.  No matter what song they said they were going to play, it was Churchkey Twist.  It got old after a while.  I never heard Churchkey Twist anymore after that. Thankfully.

Larryj

larryJ

Third note on this:  Where is this road in relation to the road to the lake?  And, before you ask, yes, I have probably been on Buttermilk Hill, but I don't remember that part.  But, I went everywhere else in the county, so I was probably there.  Most of the haying I did was west of town.  I washed my car at low water bridge SW of town just below my uncle's farm. I had a flat tire at least once a week driving on the gravel roads.  That was before tubeless tires. 

Larryj

flintauqua

Thanks, Frank.  I wasn't sure where between Moline and Howard you were at, or even what road.

Larry:  N 37.43553 W 96.26197

frawin

Larry that bridge below your Uncle Pete's farm was known as the Low Water Bridge.  It was a favorite place for families to play in the shallow water and to wash their vehicles on the Bridge. It was Staight West from the SW part of Howard. 

frawin

Larry the Road to Buttermilk Hill is approximately 1.5+Miles  South down Highway 99 from where the road to the lake is.

jensarlou

Isn't the road to Hunter's and Buttermilk Hill now called Junebug?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk