Where in Elk County Am I?

Started by flintauqua, August 13, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintauqua

Quote from: frawin on September 09, 2009, 05:29:27 AM
I can't seem to come up with any good clues to post and I don't want this thread to stop so I will just post the answer and then let the more knowledgable participants post a new one.
According to the 'Elk County History: Book the first settlement in Elk County was McKey in  the Northeast corner of the county on Indian Creek, it was named for D.W. McKey, one of the early settlers.
This is a good thread and lots of people seem to enjoy it.

Patrons of 1885 Elk County Atlas:  http://www.ksgennet.org/ks/ek/omni/atlasnames.html

D. W. McKey; Sec. 31 T. 29S R. 12E; Farmer and Stockraiser; Nativity, Overton Co. Tenn.; Date of settlement, June 1867

frawin

Thanks Charles, I will print that off and put it in my Elk County File.

flintauqua

Quote from: frawin on September 09, 2009, 12:56:28 PM
Thanks Charles, I will print that off and put it in my Elk County File.

Frank,

The location given in 1885 for McKey, is probably in the wrong township and range, or he moved further into the county in the intervening years.  The 1885 location is along Rd 22A, or Rd 23 (whichever it is called at that point) just north of Limestone (Busby Road) which is drained by East Hitchen Creek, not Indian Creek.  However, if you go just one township north, you would be on Indian Creek.  I cannot find the 1885 Atlas on line, though I have viewed it before in libraries and at the Register of Deeds Office.  Wasn't looking up in that area, so I have no notes that pertain to this particular subject.

Charles

larryJ

Don't mind them young'uns, Frank, parking and cruising were the only two things to do.  AND, I dated a Moline girl or two myself in the summers I spent with my Grandmother.  AND, listening to rock and roll on that big radio station out of Oklahoma City, KOMA.  When you had the money, there was the movie theater, (costs a dime for a while, then a quarter), or hang out at a cafe in Moline, (Can't remember the name), next to the Woolworths (?) or something similar to that.  Ah, what memories!

Larryj

HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

jensarlou

Quote from: flintauqua on September 08, 2009, 10:16:57 PM
Quote from: jensarlou on September 03, 2009, 11:14:34 PM
How about the bell in the clock tower of the courthouse in Howard? Isn't it on the National Historic Register?

Andrea,

I believe I owe you an apology.

According to:  http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/ks/Elk/state.html, the Elk County Courthouse is not on the National Register.  However according to:  http://www.kshs.org/resource/national_register/search.php?county=EK, the courthouse was nominated this spring and was added to the National Register on April 22, 2009.  If this information was in the paper or here on the forum, I missed it somehow.

Charles

Thanks Flint,
I was thinking on the order of a play on words with your clue, close to Liberty-The Liberty Bell, the bell in the clock tower.  I found online where it was added to the Nat. Regis.  I guess though I am still lost on the whole Fiat thing.  Could you please explain the background on the clues for Fiat.
Thanks Andrea

frawin

Next Clue:

My company once made tractors for Hesston
Now I'm having to fix Chrysler's messin.

Andrea, this one refers to the fact that Fiat Italia Motors built the Hesston Tractors , also Fiat Motors is involved in the Chrysler rebuilding plan. Fiat is Italy's main if not the only Motor Company.

flintauqua

First clue:

Even though I am very close to Liberty,
I'm still an order issued by legal authority

Fiat is three miles from Liberty Township; Webster's defines fiat as "an order issued by legal authority."

Second clue:

I had a stockyard, rather small.
Now there's hardly anything at all.

One of the ATSF history sites states that Fiat had the smallest stockyard on the Howard Branch.

Frank or Myrna beat me to the third clue explanation.

Charles

frawin

Larry, I probably met you back in those days at Moline and Howard. Our Forum old Granny was one of those cute little girls running around Moline in those days. The big hangout was the Dairy Bar (If memory serves me correctly that was the name). Winnie Tucker owned and operated the Dairy Bar and she was a super lady, she welcomed all of the young people to come there  and hangout as long as you didn't use foul language  or get disorderly. Or You might be thinking of the Corner Cafe which was on the Corner a couple of doors South of The " Merc"the "Mercantile", the Merc burned to the ground in the  early 50s. Those were fun times, but like you I met the love of my life and got married 45 years ago. My wife has been a super partner friend, dedicated Mother to our children. You mentioned KOMA out of Oklahoma City, I think that was Wolfman Jack. We also listened to a station out of Del Rio, Texas. WOW what fun memories.

jarhead

Hey Frank & Larry, I aint too far behind y'all. I remember the "Merc" when it was north of the bank, but not the one that burnt down. Cleo Beu would fit your shoes or a new pair of Levi's or whatever you needed. If I remember right ,just north of the Merc was an Army Surplus store. That's where I bought my first---and last, pemmingon (sp) I think it was made from berries mixed with buffalo dung !!! And KOMA ?? Oh yea.Every Saturday night they revved up the engines advertising a Tulsa speedway, then played Younger Girl by the Hondells. I know because I was parked on hilltop road west of Elk Falls in my 51 Chevy. If you parked too long you just clutched the old jalopy,rolled aways, popped the clutch and headed home.

frawin

Jarhead, there was nothing better than growing up in Elk County in those days. What fun I had, I have always had lots of fond memories of those years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk