Where in Elk County Am I?

Started by flintauqua, August 13, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintauqua

Quote from: jensarlou on September 03, 2009, 11:14:34 PM
How about the bell in the clock tower of the courthouse in Howard? Isn't it on the National Historic Register?

Andrea,

I believe I owe you an apology.

According to:  http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/ks/Elk/state.html, the Elk County Courthouse is not on the National Register.  However according to:  http://www.kshs.org/resource/national_register/search.php?county=EK, the courthouse was nominated this spring and was added to the National Register on April 22, 2009.  If this information was in the paper or here on the forum, I missed it somehow.

Charles

frawin

I can't seem to come up with any good clues to post and I don't want this thread to stop so I will just post the answer and then let the more knowledgable participants post a new one.
According to the 'Elk County History: Book the first settlement in Elk County was McKey in  the Northeast corner of the county on Indian Creek, it was named for D.W. McKey, one of the early settlers.
This is a good thread and lots of people seem to enjoy it.

jarhead

Andrea,
You mention JC Pinney as one of the early squatters. In a late 1800's to early 1900's trash dump I used to dig I found a couple of soda pop bottles that are embossed "Pinney" from Fredonia, Ks. I wonder iif that Pinney was the early settler--or a relative ?  Finding out will give Waldo something to do today. Waldo ????? :)

W. Gray

I am out for most of today.

However, J. G. Pinney and P. G. Pinney are mentioned as residents of Fredonia in the early days.

Someone on this forum mentioned having a Kansas Bottle Book. Perhaps they could find something out about Pinney bottles.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

Waldo,
I have the Kansas Bottle Book ,1854 to 1915 ,but there is no date for the Pinney bottle. I do see where JC Pinney was appointed sheriff when Howard county was organized and that he was a 4 year veteran of the Civil War. Before I get jumped on I would move this to the 'good ol days " thread if I knew how. :)

Wilma

Please don't.  Where in Elk County I Am goes right along with old times as much of it is past history.  I am really enjoying the clues and history that is being presented.  I just wish that I knew more about Elk County so I could come up with something for the rest of you.  If I could remember some of the things that my husband used to talk about, I could, but unfortunately, I am no longer sure about what he called certain sites.

One that comes to mind, though, is Buttermilk Hill.  But that won't take long for some oldtimer to find.

frawin

Wilma, I just happen to remember where Buttermilk Hill is, I used to park there and watch the stars as a young man. Great memories.

Tobina+1

Frank; park there and "watch the stars"?  Is that what you kids used to call it?   ;)  I'm sure her parents bought that story...

jarhead

Frank, You called it "parking " back in  horse & buggy days  ?? :)

frawin

Tobina, you and Jarhead are tough, I don't mind those were fun times. I dated a few of those Moline girls in those days. Myrna put an end top my freedom and watching the stars on Buttermilk Hill, wow, that was 50 years ago.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk