Where in Elk County Am I?

Started by flintauqua, August 13, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jensarlou

if you are still looking on the acme map for the "G" try Google Earth.  I finally found it!!!  Ok so where is the next location?  I want to see if I can figure it out first.

redcliffsw

If this works, you should be able to see the "G" in the upper RH side of the aerial photo.

Click here:

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=14&X=3616&Y=20679&W=3&qs=%7cgrenola%7cks%7c

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Anmar

The G was my first guess.  I remember seeing it when i was a kid.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

sixdogsmom

Waldo, don't stand on your head when you look at it!  :D
Edie

flintauqua

Unless you mis-typed your coordinates, you're quite aways away.  Your coordinates place you about 2 miles ENE of Elk Falls, and while there is a curious shaped terrace nearby, it is not the "G" that is found just 1 1/2 miles west of the SW corner of Grenola, at N37.34565 W96.47625, or just under 1/2 mile west of what Google has labeled as the intersection of 104 Rd and 61 Rd.  (This is actually the intersection of Road 4 and Cyclone).  You have to be at highest resolution to see it.

Since it does seem that there is interest in this game, I propose we give the winner of this round, redcliffsw, till 9:00 pm CDT Monday the 17th to pick the next spot to search for, or let Delbert or Waldo pick one since they were next with comments about the "G".

Personally, I can't wait for the next game to start.

Charles

flintauqua

Okay, redcliffsw either didn't get the message, or doesn't have a spot for us to search for.  So, delbert and waldo, you are up.

Charles

redcliffsw

W. Gray

I will put this one on pending an entry from someone else.

However, I could not find it on Google at the best resolution.

Maybe someone can find it since the answer to this one is rather easy.

"The traffic goes by all day and I was the first in my field."
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flintauqua

The grave of Elk County's first teacher, Frank Hobbs, at N37.50683 W96.25258.  (It's marked on the topo, can't see it on arial view)

Charles

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk