three new custom built jets

Started by flo, August 06, 2009, 10:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flo

Haven't seen anything on here about the three new "custom built" jets just ordered by the U.S. Congress for their use.  They are fancier than most homes.  AND they made the auto execs. sell theirs. Something wrong with this picture?  Forget now just how many BILLION dollars they will cost us (that's YOU AND ME) but we won't get to ride in them.  Is this really necessary? NOT NO, BUT HELL NO. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  Might add that our own Todd Tihart voted YES
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Tobina+1

The bill that included these 3 new jets was really about something else (transportation for the Air Force, although they only needed 1 of these 3 new jets).  I think they call this "pork belly" or something like that?
Also, Todd Tiahart is very much FOR the aviation industry.  He did not agree with Congress making the statement about jets being "unnecessary" and thought it would hurt the aviation industry in his home state.  I can see how this is a "catch 22" for him... knows he needs to cut Congress spending, but also knows that he should support the industry that makes up a large portion of his consituents.  Unfortunately, the jets were made in GA... and the 2 senators from that state were the ones pushing that bill so hard, too.
I don't disagree that this is spending that needs to be curbed, though.

W. Gray

It used be called pork but is now called "earmarks."

Fox news said yesterday that since it was an increase in an already existing order, it is not classified (apparently by Congressional rules) as an earmark.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Anmar

This is pretty much what the congress has been doing for years.  Democrats and Republicans are all the same, and they vote for eachothers pork.  We the people are getting ripped off in congress every day and in the meantime, people are whining about issues that don't really matter, like Birth certificates, abortion, and a 2 billion dollar clunker program.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Jo McDonald

Quote from: Anmar on August 06, 2009, 01:57:51 PM
This is pretty much what the congress has been doing for years.  Democrats and Republicans are all the same, and they vote for eachothers pork.  We the people are getting ripped off in congress every day and in the meantime, people are whining about issues that don't really matter, like Birth certificates, abortion, and a 2 billion dollar clunker program.

These things DON'T MATTER ??????  REALLY !! ??
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

frawin

ANMAR, what matter is different for different individuals.

Anmar

I guess to a degree, but lets look at something like Abortion.

People like to argue about abortion, but in the end, there is no point to the argument.  Democrats are in favor of choice, there is already a Supreme court case that has established a precedent, and it's not going to be overturned.  Conservatives want it overturned, but they also don't want judges who legislate from the bench.  If you want it overturned, you have to have a bunch of judges who believes in legislating from the bench.  Abortion isn't going to be illegal, period.  Whether you like it or not, it's not going to happen and there is no point in arguing about it anymore.

If you want to talk about regulating it, thats a different issue and happens at the state level, which has nothing to do with national politics (ie president, congress, supreme court, etc) 

Disclaimer:  This is my opinion, i believe it to be factual.  I'm not a fan  of abortion, but the system needs a fundamental change before you can start trying to change issues.

dnalexander

Quote from: Anmar on August 06, 2009, 02:45:39 PM
I guess to a degree, but lets look at something like Abortion.

People like to argue about abortion, but in the end, there is no point to the argument.  Democrats are in favor of choice, there is already a Supreme court case that has established a precedent, and it's not going to be overturned.  Conservatives want it overturned, but they also don't want judges who legislate from the bench.  If you want it overturned, you have to have a bunch of judges who believes in legislating from the bench.  Abortion isn't going to be illegal, period.  Whether you like it or not, it's not going to happen and there is no point in arguing about it anymore.

If you want to talk about regulating it, thats a different issue and happens at the state level, which has nothing to do with national politics (ie president, congress, supreme court, etc) 

Disclaimer:  This is my opinion, i believe it to be factual.  I'm not a fan  of abortion, but the system needs a fundamental change before you can start trying to change issues.

Anmar, poor choice of an example, totally off subject,  which you could move to any of the threads on abortion. I know you can come up with a better example that has to do with the government spending money 3 jets.

I agree with those of you that think the spending of money on these 3 jets is not necessary and it is certainly a bad choice in my opinion to be done during our current economic situation.

David

Anmar

hmm perhaps it's not a good example, i'm not trying to argue the abortion issue.

I agree that the extra spending isn't any good.  The point i'm trying to make is that this happens all the time.  It won't change unless there is a serious reform of how the government works.  The whole system of lobbying is a croc of well, you know.

dnalexander

Quote from: Anmar on August 06, 2009, 03:01:53 PM
hmm perhaps it's not a good example, i'm not trying to argue the abortion issue.

I agree that the extra spending isn't any good.  The point i'm trying to make is that this happens all the time.  It won't change unless there is a serious reform of how the government works.  The whole system of lobbying is a croc of well, you know.

That it closer to what I thought your point was. I can agree with your second statement.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk