Area History Books

Started by W. Gray, December 13, 2008, 09:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Copies of the Elk County history book have been as high as $157.50 from used bookstores on the internet. (Even though the retail price is $25 from the Benson Museum).

The current asking price for the Elk County history book is $110.

The Greenwood County history book is $36.94.

Chautauqua County history volume I is $290, and volume II, $260. These prices are more in line with reality. A recent effort by the historical society to reprint a minimum number of volume I failed because the price was $125 at the society's cost and there was not enough interest.

Cutler's History of the State of Kansas (reprint of a number of years ago) goes for $175 to $275.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Marcia Moore

For anyone interested, there are two different Greenwood County history books available at the Greenwood County Historical Museum in Eureka - Volume I and Volume II.  The cost is $53.65 per volume or $101.95 for the set.

W. Gray

Updates

Elk County, A Narrative History of Elk County and Its People:

Copy available from one bookseller for $94.98, if you have a coupon.
Copies available from other booksellers for $103.98, $120, $123.90, and $123.94.
Again, this book is available at the original price from the Benson Museum Complex.

The History of Chautauqua County, Kansas:

Volume I copies available from various booksellers for $193.94, $283.99 (with a coupon), and $293.99.
Volume II copies available for $107.00, $183.94 (with a coupon)
Unfortunately, no copies are available from the Chautauqua County Historical and Genealogical Society. However, one can look at a copy through Inter Library Loan.

Light on Main Street by Rudy Taylor:

Copies available from booksellers for $94.88 (with a coupon), $103.98, and $103.98.
One can get this book at the Swinging Bridge Cafe at the original price or through the Prairie Star.

Fishes of Chautauqua, Cowley and Elk Counties:

Copies available at booksellers for $12.99 and $65.01.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk