Elk Co Campgrounds

Started by Roma Jean Turner, August 04, 2009, 02:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roma Jean Turner

Are there any campgrounds in Elk Co?  If so would like some contact info.  I got a new tent and thought, when the weather cools down, it might be fun to camp out a night and spend some time visiting in Moline and Howard.

Joanna

I don't know of any, so I'll leave it to someone else to post... but you can camp in our backyard. Plenty of space and everyone in town drives by at least twice a day so you'd get to see them all without leaving your camp chair ;D  We have a big pile of brush so you could have a nice campfire too. And the wildlife is here! Coyotes, coons, crows, we have them all. HA!

W. Gray

Don't they allow camping at Polk Daniels with a permit?

Probably, pretty snake invested though.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Tobina+1

I was hoping that Jo would weigh in.  I think they do the RV thing at a couple different places in Elk Co, and would have the scoop on camping.

Teresa

Polk Daniels is still closed ( I think) If they were open you could camp there.. Wonderful campsites there..

There is no camping other than that on a public level.... There are tons of  places on the river and usually property owners allow you access.. But I doubt you want that..

Moline Lake has camping. I don't know the specifics... Maybe someone else does..
Barbara Clubine? You know ?
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Roma Jean Turner

Thanks for the help.  I forgot about Moline Lake.  I'll keep digging around and try to find out who to contact.  Being by myself, I don't really want to just camp somewhere to far from people.  Maybe I'll call the Red Buffalo and see if they know of anything.  I'd like to spend some time at the court house digging through records. 

Jo McDonald

There is a RV park here in Howard, just west of the nursing home.  You might call the city office  620 374 2202 and ask about that. 
I am sure you would be safe and comfortable there.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

sixdogsmom

Roma Jean, call the Moline City office and talk to Lisa. I know there are some folks who park campers in the park all summer. She would also be the one to talk to about the city lake, and yes there is camping there. The number is: (620) 647-3665. Hope this helps!
Edie

Roma Jean Turner

Talked to the owner of the RV park in Howard and I can stay there.  Could also rent a TeePee for 25.00 per night at Butcher's Falls on the Red Buffalo Ranch over by Sedan, that sounds fun.  The Moline site says you can camp at the Moline Park for 10.00 a night and at the Lake for $3.00 a night.  I called City Hall but couldn't get an answer.  Anyway fun possibilities.  If I get a chance to do this before winter I'll be letting everyone know and maybe we can have some lunch.  Toot's and Poplar Pizza..........I could do that for a couple of days. :D

debid

Camping at the new Moline lake is 3.00 a night and there is no power or running water.  You just go to the gas station and get a permit.   The park in Moline is very nice and they have power, but I am not sure about water.   You also get a permit at the gas station for the park.   Our Lake here at Howard is nice and we camped out there once before it was closed.... hopefully it will be opened again soon. 

Fall River is not in Elk County, but it is close (20 minutes or so) and very nice.  The lake at Severy is also nice and it is free to camp there.    If you come before hunting season there are a lot of options. 

Don't forget the Donut shop.  I am behind the grocery store in Howard. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk