Post Office Closings

Started by W. Gray, August 04, 2009, 09:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

Just saw that the PO is 4.7 billion in debt this year... expects to be 7 billion behind by Sep 1.  Have asked the govt to step in.  Maybe decrease mail delivery to 5 days a week.

W. Gray

The loss expected by the post office pales in comparison to the money that Congress is throwing around these days.

One would think, Congress would just furnish the chump change that the post office needs and forget about it.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

srkruzich

Interesting isn't it.  GOvenrment can't even run the postal service efficiently, and yet they want to control and run healthcare!
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

kshillbillys

I'm told they won't close offices in towns that have schools so most of Elk County should be safe. As for going to 5 day delivery, the unions are against it and so am I. We lost a lot of business when we gave away the parcel business to UPS and FedEx. If we cut mail delivery one day a week (and I'm told that would be Saturday) then who's gonna step in and take that away and end up taking away the whole mail delivery system? I'm not in favor of 5 day delivery at all!

I say everyone start mailing letters, bills and birthday cards again, instead of relying so heavily on the internet. 44 cents is really cheap compared to how far you can send a first class letter and you can keep it as a memento. It's something people can cherish. Who cherishes emails and ecards?

Just my 2 cents....I would like to keep my job...Jennifer
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

srkruzich

Quote from: kshillbillys on August 05, 2009, 08:57:00 PM
I'm told they won't close offices in towns that have schools so most of Elk County should be safe. As for going to 5 day delivery, the unions are against it and so am I. We lost a lot of business when we gave away the parcel business to UPS and FedEx. If we cut mail delivery one day a week (and I'm told that would be Saturday) then who's gonna step in and take that away and end up taking away the whole mail delivery system? I'm not in favor of 5 day delivery at all!

I say everyone start mailing letters, bills and birthday cards again, instead of relying so heavily on the internet. 44 cents is really cheap compared to how far you can send a first class letter and you can keep it as a memento. It's something people can cherish. Who cherishes emails and ecards?

Just my 2 cents....I would like to keep my job...Jennifer
Well, i don't write letters never have, and I am sorry but i don't need to mail my bills anymore.  I dont' have the hassel of fooling with envelopes, writing out the bill, writing a check, and sticking a stamp on it.  Just automatically goes out. 

Plus the constant postage increases aren't helping the postal services case.  About the only thing i do use the Post office for is priority mail or ordering chickens and bees.

greatguns

I'm with you Steve on not neeeding to mail my bills and waiting for a week for my mail to get to Severy.  I'm sure no one bought an airplane so I could keep my job. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tobina+1

Jennifer; I have a reply, but I put it in an envelope and mailed it to you... (wink)

I do think the PO is a valuable service.  Just like anything, the rates must go up to pay for the service.  I don't think it's the fact of increasing rates that people aren't using it as much; automatic bill pay decreases landfill waste and saves paper.  Here's an idea... the PO should start charging the phone company for every extra piece of paper they put in your bill... ads, etc.  They tell you to save paper by doing auto pay, but then they throw in 2-3 extra pieces of paper in your bill!  I love the one... "this page is intentionally left blank"... what?  why? 

Also, if some other private company takes away the mail service, who knows how much they'll charge to mail things!  It's amazing to me how much UPS and FedEx charges for shipping.  Some items/sizes are fine, but some are outrageous!  Also, they don't cater to the small-towns, either.  Yes, we have shipping points where you can take your packages to ship, but no one is there to help you pack it, weigh it, and tell you what the best way to ship is.

mtcookson

Maybe if they would respect the Constitution and allow the mailing of handguns that would help them out a bit. :D

Also kind of funny how they have a monopoly on delivery to mailboxes yet still can't make money. That's the government for you. ::)

Tobina+1

Really, no guns?  You can mail them through FedEx or UPS, can't you?

I've always wondered; isn't rural and home delivery free, but to get a PO box you have to pay?  Seems kind of backwards to me.

srkruzich

Quote from: Tobina+1 on August 06, 2009, 12:13:10 PM
Really, no guns?  You can mail them through FedEx or UPS, can't you?

I've always wondered; isn't rural and home delivery free, but to get a PO box you have to pay?  Seems kind of backwards to me.

Well the delivery is paid for in stamps.  Plus its required in that USPS is the only official service that the government is to use for government business with the citizen.

Besides if they decided to charge for home delivery, i would just eliminate that charge by declaring my only legal address which is General delivery.  Its the only one i can take with me to wherever i go.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk