Post Office Closings

Started by W. Gray, August 04, 2009, 09:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Anyone have any information as to which post offices might be closing around the Elk County area?

I have heard New Albany in Wilson County has already closed.

I have always wondered (other than politics) what has kept Elk Falls, Niotaze, and Chautauqua open.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

srkruzich

Quote from: W. Gray on August 04, 2009, 09:53:15 AM
Anyone have any information as to which post offices might be closing around the Elk County area?

I have heard New Albany in Wilson County has already closed.

I have always wondered (other than politics) what has kept Elk Falls, Niotaze, and Chautauqua open.

I have heard  piedmont is supposed to close but not any specific date.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

jensarlou

here is the site for the postal regulatory commission.  the list can be found there.
http://www.prc.gov/prc-pages/default.aspx

W. Gray

Were you able to get in there? I could not.

I tried for two days with that web site prior to posting my original thread and nothing happens.

The Wichita Eagle mentions only Wichita sites slated for closing.

At one time the prc.gov site had a notice that it was down indefinitely for maintenance. I have a feeling they may be getting a lot of flack.

Steve mentioned Piedmont was a rumor to close. I guess I did not know there was a post office there but that would seem to be another one that might need closing.

The Post Office is supposed to be headed for a billions of dollars loss this year even though postal rates went up two cents.

Many, many people seem to be buying the forever stamps in quantity to stave off having to buy higher priced stamps. That means the post office will have to carry those letters in some future year without getting any revenue. Their deficit might just skyrocket with so many of those stamps out there.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

I just tried it again and got in almost five minutes after it started firing up.

There are no small town KS post offices on the list.

Mom70x7

Tried it - got a notice that file was damaged and could not be repaired.

greatguns

I had no trouble getting on the website.  All I seen were suburban post offices on the list.

W. Gray

It is almost as though it is a cheap way, politically, to close some operations while preserving the really small town service.

jensarlou

Yes it took me a little while to load the page and I did get an error message, but I clicked on the list and it came up anyway.  Yes it does appear that small towns were spared.  It looks like most closing were where there were mulitples in big cities or a big city near a small town. I am just glad howard and moline didn't lose their p.o.'s, it is a awful long way to drive for a much needed service.  The little town in Fl where I live and the surrounding towns were also spared thank goodness.

Tobina+1

I have always been fortunate to have excellent Rural Route mail services... where we live now and where I grew up.  I haven't tried it with David yet (I don't mind having an excuse to go to chat with Carolyn in Howard), but at home we could just leave letters or packages in the box and some cash and the carrier would take care of getting us stamps or the correct postage.  Same for when we're on vacation; when the mailbox is full, they either hold the mail or take it to the house and put it in the car or door.

And, as much as we hate junk mail, those companies are paying to mail those items and helps keep the PO's operating, too.  I figure junk mail keeps 2 people employed... my mail carrier and my trash man!  Ha!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk