Cash for Clunkers.

Started by Teresa, August 02, 2009, 06:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

Quote from: Anmar on August 03, 2009, 05:35:27 PM
Quote from: srkruzich on August 03, 2009, 03:52:29 PM
Quote from: Anmar on August 02, 2009, 10:16:42 PM
Does it really stop IP tracking by your ISP?  what about banner ads and all that?  I'm curious.

I can lock down the OS to prevent ip tracking, java tracking,   any kind of tracking.   I also don't have to worry about virus's either so i dont have to pay extortion fees to mcafee and other antivirus companies.
Banner ads, are relatively simple to stop.  THey come in through a third party link other than the page your visiting and all you have to do is deny them. 

Plus i can run windoze software in a window if i so desire.   I can mask my ip address so that you can't see it going out, and i can also encrypt the tcp traffic as well as the udp traffic so that no one can snoop my packets.

Awesome, i guess i need to switch.  It's so hard these days to prevent government and corporation from tracking us.
Well thats because most everyone out there lets microsloth corp dictate what they can and can't do on your own computer.  Shoot if you know how you can turn off the microprocessor identification module so they can't id your computer.

DId you know that your printer identifies itself every time you print a page?  Look in the print, you will find the serial number and other info in the print itself somewhere on that page.

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Warph

http://jalopnik.com/5328941/ten-most-traded+in-and-purchased-cash-for-clunkers-vehicles/gallery/
According to Jalopnik, here are the top-ten cars purchased so far under Cash for Clunkers:
1. Ford Focus
2. Honda Civic
3. Toyota Corolla
4. Toyota Prius
5. Ford Escape
6. Toyota Camry
7. Dodge Caliber
8. Hyundai Elantra
9. Honda Fit
10. Chevy Cobalt
Lets see now... we've got a single Chrysler model at #7 and a single GM model at #10.  Hmmmmm... not exactly a groundswell of support for taxpayer owned auto companies.  But man, it is rather clearly a shot in the arm for Japan and South Korea.  I'm not 100% certain where the Duratec engines that Focuses use are built—I'm guessing Japan.  But I have little doubt that there are lots and lots of parts manufactured in Japan and South Korea in the cars in that list.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

mtcookson

I think I have all of these right but if something is wrong someone please correct me:

1. Ford Focus - built in Wayne,MI - engine built in Chihuahua, Mexico
2. Honda Civic - Majority built in Alliston, Ontario - sedan version also built in East Liberty, OH
3. Toyota Corolla - built by NUMMI (joint venture of GM and Toyota) in California and Toyota's Cambridge, Ontario plant
4. Toyota Prius - TsuTsumi, Japan
5. Ford Escape - Claycomo, MO - 2.3 L engine made in Mexico - 2.5 not sure yet - 3.0 Cleveland, OH
6. Toyota Camry - Georgetown, KY and Subaru's plant in Lafayette, IN
7. Dodge Caliber - Belvidere, IL
8. Hyundai Elantra - Ulsan, Korea (they are also built in St. Petersburg, Russia but we get the Korean built ones)
9. Honda Fit - Suzuka, Mie, Japan
10. Chevy Cobalt - Lordstown, OH

Will try to find percentage of parts origins in a bit. Need to get home. :D

jerry wagner

Also realize that despite GM having only 1 in the top 10, it does represent 18.3% of the total purchases under Cash for Clunkers, therefore its the largest percentage.

Anmar

Why would Japanese companies make cars in Japan to sell in the USA?  American labor is actually cheaper because the dollar is so weak.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

mtcookson

Quote from: Anmar on August 05, 2009, 08:25:55 PM
Why would Japanese companies make cars in Japan to sell in the USA?  American labor is actually cheaper because the dollar is so weak.

Anymore, I think their largest US sellers are being made in the US (at least as much as they can) while their smaller US sellers are made in Japan. I believe they also try to keep production of vehicles that will sell here better than elsewhere, here in the US like the trucks for instance. All Nissan trucks sold in the US have been built in their US plant, Toyota also has a US plant that builds all of their trucks. Mazda's trucks were actually just rebadged Ford Rangers and Honda's Passport SUV was a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo. Their new Pilot, that replaced the Passport, is now built in Lincoln, AL (previously it was also built in their Alliston, Ontario plant as well as the Lincoln plant). Suzuki's new truck is actually a rebadged Nissan Frontier so is also built in the US. The 4 liter V6 engines that power them are also built in their US plants as well, though I'm not sure where a lot of the other parts come from. I'll need to drop by a dealership sometime and see their parts origin list.

I have however found that the Prius and the Honda Fit are made in Japan. It could just be that the Toyota US plants aren't setup to assemble the hybrid setup, I have no idea though. I bet the Fit is assembled over there because one, it is a decently compact car which sell good over there and two, its not likely going to be a major seller here compared to their Civic and Accord and is aimed more towards the younger crowd.

Anmar

I live close to NUMMI, and Toyota is saying they may shut it down because GM is also leaving the plant.

Tobina+1

So, I thought CARS had already run out of money, like last week?  And Congress is trying to approve more money into it?  But all the TV ads still say they're doing it. 

dnalexander

Quote from: Anmar on August 06, 2009, 11:14:57 AM
I live close to NUMMI, and Toyota is saying they may shut it down because GM is also leaving the plant.

Anmar, regarding what might happen at NUMMI in Fremont. I eat breakfast fairly frequently at the Sky Kitchen at San Carlos Airport as do several employees of Tesla Motors which you may know of living in the area. There is talk that NUMMI might become the new home of the Prius and\or Tesla Motors. Very speculative but something being talked about by both parties.

David

Anmar

I thought Tesla just finished a new plan down there in SJ.

It would be nice to have the prius here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk