Here's how to get a dubious Bill into Law, or at least past the U.S. House

Started by Warph, July 07, 2009, 05:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Here's how to get a dubious bill into law, or at least past the U.S. House of Representatives, which of late has deserved to be called the lower chamber:

-- First, make the bill long.  Very long.  So long no one may actually read it, supporters or opponents. Introduce a 310-page horse-choker of an amendment at 3 in the morning on the day of the roll-call vote.  So it can't be examined too closely or too long.  Only after the bill passes may its true costs emerge. ...

-- Make sure that the bill itself, which was already 1,200 pages long before this super-sized amendment was added, surpasseth all understanding.  (Which may be the only thing it has in common with the peace of God.) ...

-- Insert all kinds of exceptions into the bill so those special interests that stand to benefit by them -- whether regional, economic or ideological -- will join the stampede.

-- Coat the bill and the campaign for it with high-sounding sloganspeak, if not hysteria.  Warn that The End Is Near unless this bill is passed, at least if you consider the year 2100 near. ...

-- If necessary, change the subject at the last minute.  Say, from climate change to creating jobs.  And, hesto presto, though the vote may be close (219 to 212), a confusing bill can be on its way to becoming even more confusing law. Which is just what happened the other day in the U.S. House of Representatives. ...

-- Forget the actual content of the bill, since few if any can understand it anyway.  Instead, just recite talking points.  It's a lot easier than actually thinking. ... Whoever said you never want to see sausage made or laws passed did a grave injustice to sausage-makers, who are surely engaged in a much more wholesome enterprise.

***The--Arkansas Democrat-Gazette editor Paul Greenberg

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Anmar

Glad i'm not the only one that remembers the patriot act.  Do you really think this only happens with democrats?
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

dnalexander

Sounds like the perfect bill to add my rider to,  proclaiming the American Brittany as the official national dog of the United States and giving all Brittany owners one day (24 hrs) to be absolute dictator of the United States. ;D

David

Warph

Quote from: Anmar on July 07, 2009, 06:13:03 PM
Glad i'm not the only one that remembers the patriot act.  Do you really think this only happens with democrats?

Democrats?  ??? ???
I'm sure this happens with them, the republicans, the independents... you may have the name of the newspaper confused with the democrats.  The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette is a daily newspaper in Little Rock, Arkansas, Anmar...  covering local news, sports, business, jobs, and community events.  The newspaper is published seven days a week with a daily circulation of 182,200.  It is one of the largest circulation newspapers in the USA, ranked 54th out of the top 100 in the US. http://www.mondonewspapers.com/circulation/usatop100.html
--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

Quote from: dnalexander on July 07, 2009, 07:12:14 PM
Sounds like the perfect bill to add my rider to,  proclaiming the American Brittany as the official national dog of the United States and giving all Brittany owners one day (24 hrs) to be absolute dictator of the United States. ;D

David

And a great dictator you would make, JimmyO....but I don't think my long hair chihuahuas (Rowdy and Chilita) would go along your amendment to the bill.  In fact, I hear some growling and the sound of paper being torn to shreds.... down guys... he was only kidding.... down I say.
--Warph

-- Warph

Varmit

Brittneys, Chihuahuas, Please...What is this a jr. high girls slumber party??  My German Shepards and Greay Prynesse were growling, now they're just rolling on the floor laughing!! ;D
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Catwoman

Well, my Maine Coons are yawning...and walking away, shaking their heads! lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk