Palin Quits, Transfers Power to Lt. Governor

Started by Teresa, July 03, 2009, 02:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmar

In the Video you posted, Huckabee mentioned that he had went through much worse than Palin has.  He also mentioned that it's pretty normal for those kinds of partisan things to go on, especially for a governer.  Thirdly, he mentioned that the legal fees were being paid by the state, and that Palin used the excuse that she didn't want the state to continue to spend money on the investigations.  This obviously means that Palin is not using her personal finances. 

I actually agree with a lot of things Huckabee said, and i think if Palin's goal is to run for pres, her resignation may have been a big misstep.  There are only two scenarios in my mind that make this a good decision.  First, that she wants to focus on her family and get them out of the spotlight.  I don't agree with a lot of you on many things, but i think she's taken a bit too much from the media and that her family was unfairly put into the spotlight.  The second thing that comes to mind is that she's worried that the ethics investigations will bring out some juicy stuff, and she's resigning in hopes of killing the investigations before they go public. 

Either way, we'll know the truth in the next few months.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Tobina+1

I think it's pretty sad that the media and these ethics lawsuits can drive someone out of office.  I guess none of us live in Alaska, so who's to say if she's been doing a good thing for the state or not.  But her family did get a lot of negative publicity and that would be hard to deal with on a personal level.  Sometimes it's just easier to throw in the towel.  It's also sad that people are making such a big deal over it and over-analyzing every word she said.  That's the thing that really pisses me off lately; people are treating politicians like gods.  They are human, too.  Subject to mistakes, mis-wordings, looking like crap, and having personal problems.  Just because we elect them, doesn't mean their personal lives are ours to criticize.  How would you like all your skeletons analyzed on national TV every night?

Anmar

Quote from: Tobina+1 on July 07, 2009, 08:39:11 AM
  It's also sad that people are making such a big deal over it and over-analyzing every word she said.  That's the thing that really pisses me off lately; people are treating politicians like gods.  They are human, too.  Subject to mistakes, mis-wordings, looking like crap, and having personal problems.  Just because we elect them, doesn't mean their personal lives are ours to criticize.  How would you like all your skeletons analyzed on national TV every night?

As Huckabee said, her press conference raised more questions than answers.  She continues to hint that she will continue her role as politicion and that she wants to lead the country.  Thats a big deal, and its news.  She never said she's resigning because of personal problems or her family, so really, Palin is making things more difficult for herself by not just coming out and being clear about why she's resigning and what her plans are.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Tobina+1

Well, as I read it (the actual speech she gave), the reason she's resigning is because of all the ethics issues that have come up recently.  Not that she's trying to avoid them, but that since NONE of them are true, she's trying to save the state money.  To me, that sends a loud message that she's got the good of the state in mind, rather than her own political agenda.  How much of "my" money is spent paying legal fees for all the politicians?

Wilma

I like to think that she is finding that her youngest child is needing more of her attention now and she is foregoing personal fame and glory to tend to his needs.  I would just about bet that her family is glad she is quitting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk