Windy City

Started by W. Gray, July 02, 2009, 02:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Kansas has the windiest city in the U.S.

Dodge City consistently ranks number one as the windiest city in the U.S.

Sometimes Dodge City is shown outranked by Blue Hill or Blue Hill Observatory, Massachusetts but Blue Hill is not located in a city.

Another Kansas city, Goodland, ranks around number eight.

Chicago is not in the top ten.

It has been several years since I was run out of Dodge, so don't know if there are now wind farms in the area.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

larryJ

I have a vivid memory of driving through Dodge City many years ago with the windows rolled down.  The wind was real strong that day and so was the smell.  I have never seen that many cows in one place in my life.  It wasn't really hot, but we had to turn on the A/C and roll the windows up.  I remember all those pens being on the east side of town so the smell was not blowing into town.  Smart move.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Tobina+1

Yes, there are wind farms somewhere in the SW corner of the state, but I think they might be along Hwy 160?  I remember driving by, but I don't remember where I was!

Yes, there are a LOT of feedyards in the Dodge City/Garden City area.  Also, because of the 2 major packing plants you might see some of the cattle pens associated with the plants closer to city limits than the feedyards are.

W. Gray

Several years ago, there was a large cattle feedlot operation just north of Yates Center fronting on U.S. 75.

At the time it was our quickest way to get to Howard.

From a few miles out the smell began and by the time one was at the feedlot, the stench was overpowering to the point of being sickening. That lot was the worst I have ever encountered.

Because of that horrible smell, I often wondered how the people of Yates Center felt about their local industry.

One day there were no cattle there and I never did find out if the lot had to close because of opposition or it just closed. For several years afterward, the former feed lot grew the highest and densest weeds I have ever seen.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Rudy Taylor

We feel the same way about Oklahoma, since we live just to the north of the border.

Sometimes that stench is just awful, especially during football season when the hot air from Norman never seems to let up.

(OK, OK ... I'm just kidding.  Please forgive me, Patryn)
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Judy Harder

Aw Rudy......................don't you know that is just the
the way it is.................LOL...........you know this will
start a spat (ok) debate on who likes which college.

I have a hard time picking between KState or KU.........but, being a loyal Jayhawker I don't think it matters.

I support (well) I watch when it is on tv, both of them.

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Tobina+1

W. Gray; that feedlot is now used as the Coop elevator.  Still no cattle in the pens, but at least they keep the place cleaned and mowed up a little better.

patyrn

Rudy,

You're blowing a bit too much hot air around................be careful!!!!!

larryJ

Here is SoCal there is a freeway that runs north and south from the mountains near us to the ocean.  We often take that freeway when we go to the beach.  Right after you turn from the I-10 to the I-605 South you encounter a huge duck farm on the west side of the freeway.  As the oceans breezes for the most part blow from the west it was advisable to roll up the windows when passing by.  I think that the smell of the ducks might be worse than the cows.  The duck farm, after many years of operation, finally went out of business.  Several companys wanted to develop the area for business or housing, etc.  It took many years for the EPA to finally declare the area suitable for development.  I often wondered just how deep they had to dig before they didn't find any more duck----------------------------stuff.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Lazy Bear

Montezuma, Ks which is on Hwy 56 west of Dogde City is the largest wind farm in the state. Country Living had an article on it several years ago, showing it,,and how much it contributed to the county. New school, track field, ect. So you might want to take note Elk Co. Also one of your own worked on this when it was being built. 
http://www.kansastravel.org/graycountywindfarm.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk