Kansas State Historical Society Grant

Started by W. Gray, June 30, 2009, 12:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

The Wichita Eagle reports today that the Kansas State Historical Society has received a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities to begin digital preservation of old Kansas newspapers.

This will allow Kansas newspapers from 1860 to 1922 to be online with a searchable database.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Marcia Moore

That is great!  Wish they had done this ten years ago, as it would have saved me a whole lot of time and expense.  Better late than never, though.  Wonder why 1922 is the stopping point?

W. Gray

My sentiments exactly. Not to mention dizziness resulting from trying to catch items as the frames go whizzing by.

I think that is the estimate as to how far the money from the grant will take them.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

gcrebel

Quote from: Marcia Moore on June 30, 2009, 01:37:21 PM
  That is great!  Wish they had done this ten years ago, as it would have saved me a whole lot of time and expense.  Better late than never, though.  Wonder why 1922 is the stopping point?

Everything prior to Jan 1, 1923 is now public domain due to copyright expiration.  There are many variants of copyrights 1923 and later, but the pre-1923 is cut and dried, so no worries with any violations.

Roma Jean Turner

Great news.  Can't wait.  No more staggering out of the library, dizzy and blurry eyed from several hours of work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk