another slice of wry

Started by larryJ, June 24, 2009, 04:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryJ

Today's--------------------groaner

The construction foreman approached the new hire, watched him work for a while, then remarked, "I notice that you hammer nails like lightning."

"I'm fast, you mean?"

"No, you never strike twice in the same place."

In 1832, John C. Calhoun became the first Vice-President of the United States to resign, stepping down because of differences with President Andrew Jackson.

In 1945, Congress officially recognized the Pledge of Allegiance.

Today------------Actor Martin Milner is 79, Actress Nichelle Nichols is 78. Actress Dame Maggie Smith is 76, Rock singer-musician Charles Neville is 72 and Rock singer Edgar Winter is 64.

Larryj

HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

larryJ

Today's-------------------oooooh

"How was your blind date with that fellow?" one woman asked the other.

"It was terrible."

"Why? What was wrong with him?"

"He owns a 1922 Rolls Royce."

"Isn't that a good thing?"

"He's the original owner."

In 1845, Texas was admitted as the 28th state.

In 1890, the Wounded Knee massacre took place in South Dakota as an estimated 300 Sioux Indians were killed by U.S. troops sent to disarm them.

Today----------------Actress Inga Swenson is 78, ABC Newscaster Tom Jarriel is 76, Actress Mary Tyler Moore is 74, Actor Jon Voight is 72, Country Singer Ed Bruce is 71, Singer Marianne Faithful is 64, Jockey Laffit Pincay Jr. is 64 and Actor Ted Danson is 63.

Larryj

larryJ

Today's--------------oopsies

An angry man called the florist to complain.  He had arranged for a congratulatory wreath to be sent to a friend who was opening a new branch of his successful business.  The angry man said, "I don't know what happened, but the wrong wreath was sent.  It said, 'REST IN PEACE!'"

The florist gasped in horror.  "That's the second-worst thing that could have happened!" he said.

"What do you mean, the second worst?" the indignant man demanded.

The stricken florist said, "I think accidentally I sent your wreath to a funeral.  The wreath that says, 'GOOD LUCK IN YOUR NEW LOCATION!'"

In 1853. the United States and Mexico signed a treaty under which the U.S. agreed to buy some 45,000 square miles of land from Mexico for $10 million in a deal known ad the Gadsden Purchase.

In 1936, the United Auto Workers union staged its first "sit-down" strike at the Fisher Body Plant No. 1 in Flint, Michigan.

In 1940, California's first freeway, Arroyo Seco Parkway connecting Los Angeles and Pasadena, was officially opened by Gov. Culbert L. Olson.

Today-------------Actor Joseph Bologna is 76, Actor Russ Tamblyn is 76, Baseball Hall-of-Famer Sandy Koufax is 75, Actor Jack Riley is 75, Actor Fred Ward is 68, Singer-musician Michael Nesmith is 68, Singer Davy Jones is 65. Actress Concetta Tomei is 64, Singer Patti Smith is 64 and Rock singer-musician Jeff Lynne is 63.

Larryj

sodbuster

Hello Larry from David (sodbuster) your fellow Californian. I missed you, glad to see you are still posting a slice of wre.

David Alexander
(Sodbuster)
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

Judy Harder

welcome back
David. Hope all is well with you. You were missed.
God bless
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

larryJ

David, welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I was hoping to hear something from somebody on this forum that might have information on how you are doing.  I am so glad you have come back.  And, your two caretakers are mighty welcome to participate.  Although I love mexican food and eat it a lot, I don't make them quite as hot as you did!  LOL.  Anyway, I am looking forward to your posts.

Larryj

larryJ

Today's---------------an oopsie

A lovely woman danced with a stranger at a New Year's Eve party.  "Oh, look at that ugly man over there," she said, nodding her head to indicate the direction. 

The man turned to look, then exclaimed, "Why, that's my brother!"

"Oh, you must excuse me," said the lady, extremely embarrassed, then added apologetically, "I really hadn't noticed the resemblance."

In 1775, during the Revolutionary War, the British repulsed an attack by the continental Army generals Richard Montgomery and Benedict Arnold at Quebec; Montgomery was killed.

In 1879 Thomas Edison first publicly demonstrated his electric incandescent light in Menlo Park, N.J.

In 1909, the Manhattan Bridge, spanning the East River between Manhattan an Brooklyn, was officially opened to vehicular traffic.

In 1946, President Harry S. Truman officially proclaimed the end of hostilities in World War II.

In 1985, singer Ricky Nelson, 45, and six other people were killed when fire broke out aboard a DC-3 that was taking the group to a New Year's Eve performance in Dallas.

Today-------------Actor Sir Anthony Hopkins is 73, Actor Tim Considine ("My Three Sons") is 70, Actress Sarah Miles is 69, Actor Ben Kingsley is 67, Fashion Designer Diane von Furstenberg is 64, Actor Tim Matteson is 63, Singer Donna Summer is 62 and Actor Joe Dallesandro is 62.

Larryj

larryJ

Today's----------------------------hah

A speaker was in the second hour of his talk, and the crowd was starting to fidget.  Noticing this, the speaker said, "I apologize for going on and on.  You see, I haven't got a watch on me."

"Yes," shouted a voice from the back, "but there's a calendar behind you."

In 1863, President Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring that slaves in rebel states were free.

In 1890, the first Tournament of Roses was held in Pasadena, CA.

In 1892, the Ellis Island Immigration Station in New York formally opened.

Today----------------Actor Ty Hardin is 81, Actor Frank Langella is 73, Rock singer-musician Joe McDonald is 69 and Actor Rick Hurst is 65.

New feature-----------
Copyright Expiration Day, celebrating the expiration of the copyright of a year's worth of works of authorship into the public domain. Not celebrated from 1978 to 2018 because of repeated copyright term extensions.

Larryj

larryJ

Today's---------------ooooh

Two women are talking on the phone.  The one who lives in northern Minnesota has been mad at her husband, Carl, since the holidays.l

"I'm just going crazy with him," she said to her friend.  "It has been snowing all week, and it is nearly waist high.  Carl just stands there and looks through the kitchen window.  I suppose if the weather gets much worse, I may have to let him in."

In 1921, religious services were broadcast on radio for the first time as KDKA in Pittsburgh aired the regular Sunday service of the city's Calvary Episcopal Church.

In 1991, Sharon Pratt (Dixon) was sworn in as mayor of Washington, D.C., becoming the first black woman to head a city of Washington's size and prominence.

Today-------------Country Musician Harold Bradley is 85 and TV host Jack Hanna is 64.

January 2--National Day of Motivation and Inspiration.

Larryj

larryJ

Today's----------------------good guess

A young Jewish man excitedly tells his mother he's fallen in love and that he is going to get married. He says, "Just for fun, Ma, I'm going to bring over three women and you try and guess which one I'm going to marry."

The mother agrees.

The next day, he brings three beautiful women into the house and sits them down on the couch and they chat for a while. He then says, "Okay, Ma, guess which one I'm going to marry."She immediately replies, "The one on the right."

"That's amazing, Ma. You're right. How did you know?"

The Jewish mother replies, "I don't like her."

In 1961, President Dwight D. Eisenhower announced the United States was formally terminating diplomatic and consular relations with Cuba, citing a move by the Cuban government to limit the number of U.S. personnel in Havana to 11 persons.

In 1967, Jack Ruby, the man who shot and killed Lee Harvey Oswald, died in a Dallas hospital.

Today--------------Actor Robert Loggia is 81, Actor Dabney Coleman is 79, Journalist-author Betty Rollin is 75, Hockey Hall-of-famer Bobby Hull is 72, Musician Stephen Stills is 66 and Actress Victoria Principal is 61.

January 3rd is National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day

Larryj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk