Demolished houses

Started by Joanna, June 24, 2009, 02:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Besides Walnut and Adams, can someone identify where the other houses were torn down?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

indygal

Three of the houses were in the 400 block of south Wabash street. One at the corner of Monroe and Wabash (southwest side, belonged to Bert Watts), and two on the same side at the corner (not sure who they belonged to). Another one was at the corner of Jefferson and Cedar. Not sure about any others. I do know it's a night-and-day difference.

W. Gray

Thanks,

My mother asked where they were and I could only give her the one location.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

There is an abandoned home at about Chestnut and Jefferson (I think) that has a 60 foot, or so, unoccupied mobile home sitting on the lot next to the house and close to the street.

My first recollection of when that mobile home was moved in was that it looked decent. However, it has since deteriorated to a point of the siding falling off and the insulation coming out, roof sagging, etc. The doors were coming off also.

The owner apparently does not live in Howard.

Was there any effort by these folks to get rid of that eyesore?

Joanna

Another one bites the dust.  ;D
Should finish tomorrow if we don't get too much rain tonight.

indygal

Waldo, the house you might be thinking of was the Watts' house at Monroe and Wabash, on the southwest corner. The other two that have been demolished were at Wabash and Elk, also on the southwest side. I drove past Chestnut and Jefferson, and it looks like there had been a house on the southeast corner at one time, but quite some time ago. When you said the house had a deteriorated trailer with the insulation falling out of it, that sure describes the Watts' property. His niece, Christy Tyler, bought it and has had the lot cleaned up.

Joanna, I still haven't been by to see your "new view." I may try to get over there tomorrow evening ... depends on how much I get finished at work tomorrow. Getting ready for the parade, a booth and demonstration at the fair, an ice cream sundae fest, a mobile health screening event and an annual meeting sure can tire a body out!

W. Gray

Thanks,

I was in the ballpark, so to speak. The one I was thinking about was, indeed, on the southwest corner, so that is probably it.

What an eyesore, but no more.

W. Gray

I have heard that the Nazarene Church at Perry and Adams has been torn down.

Wilma

I haven't seen it, but Daughter says it is gone.

Diane Amberg

That's why you haven't seen it. It's gone!  ;D ;D ;D   ( sorry, it just slipped out)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk