Government regulated tobacco industry

Started by larryJ, June 22, 2009, 09:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kshillbillys

I know this is not the intended purpose for this thread but I have been a smoker for at least 15 years and just wanted you all to know that I quit as of 8:05 tonight...have a patch on right now... :)
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

sixdogsmom

Congratulations! That is the single best thing you can do for your health. Hang tough, it is not easy to do!  8)
Edie

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on June 26, 2009, 08:25:52 PM
I doubt anybody is going to force the tobacco companies to fess up to all the stuff that's in a cigarette besides the tobacco. The various kinds of cigarettes have recipes that I doubt they would share. Some even have molasses in them. The tobacco grown north of us is cigar wrapper tobacco.The Amish here still use the big slatted drying barns to hang it in after harvest. 

You know i don't know why it matters if they fess up or not.  They sold a product.  People chose to use that product despite the warnings.  Why should they be held liable for peoples choices and furthermore its not the Governments job to interfere in peoples choices. 

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

redcliffsw

That's right.

Instead of manufacturing cigarettes, maybe the "roll-your-own" will make a return.
Except that I'm not interested in either.

srkruzich

Quote from: redcliffsw on June 27, 2009, 05:30:47 AM

That's right.

Instead of manufacturing cigarettes, maybe the "roll-your-own" will make a return.
Except that I'm not interested in either.
I doubt it, they hit the roll your own tobacco with a 400% tax.
tobacco went from 12.40 a pound to over 50 a pound.

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

larryJ

Kshillbilly, congratulations on your decision to stop.  Please work very hard to quit.  It is a tough thing to do, I know.  The only way I could quit was when I couldn't catch my breath.  Maybe when I ever post a picture under my name, it will be one with the tubing wrapped around my face.  Anyway, you have just given yourself a chance to live a longer and better life.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

jerry wagner

Quote from: srkruzich on June 26, 2009, 10:18:18 PM
Quote from: Diane Amberg on June 26, 2009, 08:25:52 PM
I doubt anybody is going to force the tobacco companies to fess up to all the stuff that's in a cigarette besides the tobacco. The various kinds of cigarettes have recipes that I doubt they would share. Some even have molasses in them. The tobacco grown north of us is cigar wrapper tobacco.The Amish here still use the big slatted drying barns to hang it in after harvest. 

You know i don't know why it matters if they fess up or not.  They sold a product.  People chose to use that product despite the warnings.  Why should they be held liable for peoples choices and furthermore its not the Governments job to interfere in peoples choices. 

The person that smokes does not just injure himself/herself.  That is the justification for government intervention, furthermore it causes economic damage to the healthcare system in providing maintenance to the person's health later in life.

Varmit

If that is the case jerry, then the gov't better "intervene" with alcohol, fast food, red meat, twinkies, soda, ice cream, and pretty much anything else that makes life worth living.  And while we are at, we had better implment a Fat Tax.  Afterall, obesity is the largest growing health concern in this country. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

indygal

Congralations, kshillbillys! I'm on Day 9 myself and hubby is 3 weeks quit! We're both using Chantix. There are several reasons why we quit (and we were longtime smokers), but our health and finances were the big ones. And even as someone who loved/hated smoking, I fully support any effort to regulate the tobacco industry at least as well as the alcoholic beverage industry. Any product that a person ingests/inhales or otherwise uses in a direct physical manner should be proved safe. Cigarettes are toxins. They contain more chemicals than most commercial poisons and have fewer warnings on the package. Why no skull/crossbones? Where is truth in advertising? They are horribly addictive ...much more so than painkillers, but do not require a prescription.

It's time for tobacco growers to find another cash crop, one that doesn't cost individuals and society so dearly. I've always thought hemp would be a logical choice, but that raises a lot of other concerns, so there ya go.

Catwoman

Quote from: kshillbillys on June 26, 2009, 09:10:14 PM
I know this is not the intended purpose for this thread but I have been a smoker for at least 15 years and just wanted you all to know that I quit as of 8:05 tonight...have a patch on right now... :)
Good job, KS...I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers...It's going to be a hard thing to get off of...But you can do it.  I have faith in you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk