Americans

Started by flo, June 19, 2009, 12:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

Quote from: dnalexander on June 20, 2009, 02:39:45 PM
Quote from: frawin on June 20, 2009, 01:56:01 PM
What is the matter with you Conservative Right forum members you should be honoring the Flag just like Obama in the article quoted below:

Barack Obama Captured on Tape Not Putting His Hand Over His Heart During The National Anthem
Wednesday, October 24, 2007

ALAN COLMES, CO-HOST: Illinois Senator Barack Obama finds himself at the center of yet another controversy as conservatives continue their assault on his patriotism, if you can believe that.

The Democratic presidential hopeful is captured on film at a steak fry sponsored by Iowa Senator Tom Harkin. A closer look shows that Obama, unlike his Democratic colleagues, isn't putting his hand over his heart during the national anthem. Can you believe this? That's an outrage.

I learned my flag etiquette form my dad,mom, and in Scouts. I have added to it and found things that I did that were not proper etiquette buy reading and studying it as an adult. Just when I think I know everything I find something else that I do that is not proper. On the flag I tend to be sentimental and like to revel in the history and in tradition. That is just my preference.

To make a long story short. At one point during Scouts the topic of NOT putting your hand over your heart came up. My mom told me that as a girl she was taught that is was not necessary to do so. That is what Obama said as his reason and he learned it from his grandparents who where from Peru very near Howard Would I not put my hand over my heart. No. Is it a breach of flag etiquette. Yes. Is it offensive, depends on the intent of the person doing it. Real patriotism is in the mind and heart not in etiquette. I still take time to show people proper flag etiquette, hold a flag raising ceremony on all national holidays, post a flag at my place everyday, talk to people about proper flag etiquette and why I love the traditions for what they mean.

David
up until this winter, i flew my flag every day.  but it sadly has been tattered by the wind and i haven't been able to replace it with a new one and retire the old one.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

dnalexander

Steve, I have a current story for that too. Just down the street from me is a man that is a naturalized citizen. He is among the most knowledgeable people on US History and he definitely loves this country and would never leave. He flies a flag everyday. His flag has become worn and tattered. Since we talk almost every morning at one point I mentioned that his flag was tattered and we discussed flag etiquette. Now I know him well and he is one of the most patriotic people I know. After we talked he immediately took down his flag. He is a small business owner of a landscaping company and things are not great economically for him. With July 4th coming up I think I am going to get him a flag. Luckily, I have a friend that owns a flag store and will donate a flag.

David

srkruzich

Quote from: dnalexander on June 20, 2009, 04:19:08 PM
Steve, I have a current story for that too. Just down the street from me is a man that is a naturalized citizen. He is among the most knowledgeable people on US History and he definitely loves this country and would never leave. He flies a flag everyday. His flag has become worn and tattered. Since we talk almost every morning at one point I mentioned that his flag was tattered and we discussed flag etiquette. Now I know him well and he is one of the most patriotic people I know. After we talked he immediately took down his flag. He is a small business owner of a landscaping company and things are not great economically for him. With July 4th coming up I think I am going to get him a flag. Luckily, I have a friend that owns a flag store and will donate a flag.

David

That would be a awesome gift!  Maybe your friend could find me a 100% American made flag that i could buy and fly.  i have a 3 x 5 flag and its put up til i find a retirement ceremony.

W. Gray

One can also request, through his or her senator, a flag that has flown over the capitol and even request a specific date for it to be flown.

Different sizes can be ordered and there is a charge, but as I recall, the charge is at cost. Postage is probably extra.

A few years ago, I had one flown over the capitol on my father's birthday. He received the flag with a certificate of the date flown.

Of course, it did not fly very long over the capitol but it did fly.

Before he passed away, he donated the flag to the local Legion in Howard.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

dnalexander

Steve his American flags are all made in the US. I think that all his foreign flags are also made in their country of origin. (Actually now that I think of that I find that even more respectful and patriotic) I will find where his US flags are from so maybe you can order one from the manufacturers local distributor in Kansas. I personally fly a 100% heavy cotton flag it fades a quicker but I think it adds to its charm. I told my neighbor to tell everyone that he was flying a tattered flag to represent the flag that inspired the the Star Spangled Banner. He laughed, but he still took his down. That just brings me back to it is your intent and what is in your heart. As far as disposal you must have a VFW or Boy Scout troop in your area that can do it properly. Also, I would have to look it up to find the proper procedure but you could do it yourself.

David

p.s. I also, have a flag that was flown on my Birthday above the capitol in Washington. I don't fly it so it will last forever. It is folded in a perfect triangle with only blue and stars showing. We had to do that in Scouts and since it is hard to do I think I will keep that one as it is.

David

pamsback

Quote from: kshillbillys on June 20, 2009, 03:08:26 PM
Excuse me, but did I quote her or say her name?

No. It was pretty clear she was ONE of the ones you meant tho. She's so conservative she would scare YOU.

srkruzich

Quote from: dnalexander on June 20, 2009, 05:01:09 PM
Steve his American flags are all made in the US. I think that all his foreign flags are also made in their country of origin. (Actually now that I think of that I find that even more respectful and patriotic) I will find where his US flags are from so maybe you can order one from the manufacturers local distributor in Kansas. I personally fly a 100% heavy cotton flag it fades a quicker but I think it adds to its charm. I told my neighbor to tell everyone that he was flying a tattered flag to represent the flag that inspired the the Star Spangled Banner. He laughed, but he still took his down. That just brings me back to it is your intent and what is in your heart. As far as disposal you must have a VFW or Boy Scout troop in your area that can do it properly. Also, I would have to look it up to find the proper procedure but you could do it yourself.

David

p.s. I also, have a flag that was flown on my Birthday above the capitol in Washington. I don't fly it so it will last forever. It is folded in a perfect triangle with only blue and stars showing. We had to do that in Scouts and since it is hard to do I think I will keep that one as it is.

David

I would love a pure American made flag. It is a shame and disgrace that most companies sell the ones made in china. 

kshillbillys

I'm glad that everyone (I SAID EVERYONE that way no one can say I'm singling them out) on this forum can read my frickin mind! As I stated last time I posted something that made EVERYONE jump all over me, some people believe their freedom of speech is just a little bit more important than others' freedom of speech. I make a statement and EVERYONE jumps. Billy makes a statement and EVERYONE jumps. But when anything is said about the JUMPING then IT'S THEIR FREEDOM OF SPEECH. I guess I'm NOBODY and can't make a statement or have an OPINION about anything! A lot of things on this forum are OBVIOUS, but don't TRY TO READ MY MIND as to whom I'm speaking to.

Just because Flo started this thread does NOT mean I was talking about her. If I was, I would damned sure admit it. I am NOT going to sit on here and type things that I wouldn't say to a persons' face. If I say I wasn't talking about her, then I wasn't talking about her. End of frickin discussion.
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

dnalexander

Quote from: kshillbillys on June 20, 2009, 06:32:06 PM
I'm glad that everyone (I SAID EVERYONE that way no one can say I'm singling them out) on this forum can read my frickin mind! As I stated last time I posted something that made EVERYONE jump all over me, some people believe their freedom of speech is just a little bit more important than others' freedom of speech. I make a statement and EVERYONE jumps. Billy makes a statement and EVERYONE jumps. But when anything is said about the JUMPING then IT'S THEIR FREEDOM OF SPEECH. I guess I'm NOBODY and can't make a statement or have an OPINION about anything! A lot of things on this forum are OBVIOUS, but don't TRY TO READ MY MIND as to whom I'm speaking to.

Just because Flo started this thread does NOT mean I was talking about her. If I was, I would damned sure admit it. I am NOT going to sit on here and type things that I wouldn't say to a persons' face. If I say I wasn't talking about her, then I wasn't talking about her. End of frickin discussion.

In kshillbillys defense I will say that often a forum members post comment will inspire me to make a post on the forum that could be interpreted to be about a specific person's post. While that person's post may be the inspiration for my post ; my comment is often on the topic at large and not specific to the individual post.

David

redcliffsw

Frawin-
It's my opinion that conservative forum members do honor the flag and do so, during the national anthem too -
(however, O' did not).

As for the POA, that's a different matter as you might have discovered.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk