Another series that really bugs me when I hear or see it misused is:
see, saw seen

I see the moon.
I saw the moon.
I have seen the moon.

Many times seen is misused.

Myrna

Tobina+1

Yes, "I seen it" is incorrect. (and a pet-peeve of mine)

indygal

Glad you've returned from your hiatus, Dale!

"I seen" ....is definitely one of my pet peeves.

I also cringe at "thru" instead of "through" and "donut" instead of doughnut.

I don't see this written, but I hear it quite a bit: "Where you at?" which prompts me to ask "Where's the verb?"

Tobina+1

Yeah, that's a tricky one, Indygal.  "Where you at" probably could be "Where are you at".  If you say it fast enough, and without too much pronunciation, it all runs together.  Not really a contraction for Where + are, is there... Where're?  Ha!

I'm guilty of both "thru" and "donut".  Faster to type that way.  Plus, a lot of doughnut stores are spelled "donut"... Dunkin' Donuts, for example.

Joanna

" idea " pronounced as  " ideal " bugs me
" agin " instead of "against" like 'Don't lean up agin the table or I'll smack this skillet up agin your head.'
I suppose those are just part of having a country accent or growing up in a certain locality, colloquialisms.

I notice that sometimes I say things in a way that I would never write them, so I know I probably manage to use a lot of poor grammar that I don't even know about  ;)  Ha!  And I probably won't thank  you for telling me about it either, but it's fun to list them on the Forum.

Wilma

My mother had a reply for any sentence like "Where is it at?"  She would always say, "Just before the at?"  "Where is it?" is a complete sentence without the "at".

patyrn

That's right, Wilma.  Sentences shouldn't end with a preposition. 

Mom70x7

QuoteMy mother had a reply for any sentence like "Where is it at?"  She would always say, "Just before the at?"

That's one of my responses to the kids at school. Drives them bonkers, especially the ones that don't understand.

One of the other phrases I catch them on is Can I and May I. When they say the Can and mean the May, they'll hear from me, "Only if you're able." One student, a junior next year, never did catch on.  ;D

dnalexander

Wilma I bet you are loving this thread. I picture you with a big smile on your face. Thinking there is some hope for the world after all.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk