Reglious Turn...

Started by Varmit, June 04, 2009, 07:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

To All Members of This Forum,

It seems to me that quite a few threads have taken a religious turn.  While I am guilty of doing this as well, I do not think that it promotes a good debate.  While I think that a persons religious beliefs will have an effect on their opinions, using those beliefs as a sole argument is not the way to go, given the fact that no two people share the same exact beliefs.  I will try and keep my religous views to myself in the future, I think that I have stated them clearly and that is enough.

Also, I have seen a persons beliefs attacked on a somewhat personal level.  I would think that if we are to promote a certain level of diversity these attacks are counterproductive and only add to the deterioration of the discussion. 

If we want to compare the pro's and con's of one religion to another then I would suggest starting a thread for it. 

This is not meant to belittle or critize anyone here, I just don't want to see the level of discussion brought down to a petty level.  As I stated earlier I will try and keep my comments focused on the topic. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Dee Gee

I agree, Thanks for posting this thread.  Some of the posting has been brutal in the last few days.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

pamsback

Sounds like a plan......

flo

not only sounds like a plan but a GOOD plan.  All christians worship the same God, how they do it is between THEM AND THEIR GOD and no one else.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Teresa

EXCELLENT suggestion..
I should have done it myself..
I'm sorry for slipping on my job.. :-\

Thanks Billy..........
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

flo

need to add to my approval of this idea.  I've always had a rule that "I don't discuss politics or religion because everyone has their own ideas and I certainly have mine".  Therefore, I hereby, today, vow to stay out of any discussions, debates, arguments, whatever you want to call it, concerning either of these subjects.  Let's get back to the lighter side of life  ;D ;D ;D :angel: :angel: :angel:
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Anmar

Does that include other religions, or just christianity?  Because looks like a lot of people are having a grand ole time bashing islam and muslims
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Wilma

I have done some research on the Islamic religion and I don't find anything in it that condones the violence and brutality as we know it today.  Somehow the Islamic religion has been corrupted and that is what we hear about.  The true Islamic is supposed to be as kind and charitable as the true Christian is.  It is too bad that what we hear about has almost erased anything good about Islam.

flintauqua

I agree with what is being said here.  An individual's religious beliefs are of a singular nature.  Trying to make them into collective beliefs is what creates tension and eventually dissention within the collective.  Every "religion" has been an attempt at collectivism, and every religion has eventually divided, and divided, and divided . . . .  Resulting in the many different demominations and sects that exist in all "major religions" of the world.

Diane Amberg

Yep, that's how Christianity came to be in the first place.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk