Gitmo solution...

Started by Warph, May 31, 2009, 08:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Potus Obama and Secretary Robert Gates insists that Guantanamo has to be shut down because its very name is a source of embarrassment for America throughout the world.  Well, I happen to think the world is an embarrassment and is therefore in no position to judge us.  But the solution in any case is not to shut down Gitmo -- especially when it will cost $50 to $80 million to do so and when nobody has the slightest idea where to move the terrorists -- but to simply change the name of the facility.  We could call it any number of things, ranging from Paradise to Fantasy Island.  Or we could take our lead from the pop singer, Prince, and simply change it to the Prison Formerly Known as Gitmo.  All in favor, say "Eye."
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Diane Amberg

Aye....I think they should do what they can to change the image instead of closing it. Maybe let the Red Cross keep an eye on things for awhile like they used to. That is one place where I don't agree with Pres. Obama. I don't care for true torture, because it could lead to trouble for any of our people who might be kidnapped.  I'd like not to see that escalate. But, I don't think closing it is the answer. His political rhetoric is just words and blows away in the wind. But actually closing Gitmo is an action and I don't think it will help anything.

Wilma

Varmit

Nay...I say leave the name the name the same and tell the "world" that if they aren't willing to deal with these bastards then we will.  That we are not embarrassed to defend our country, that we will keep our citizens safe using any means nessecary. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Billy, are you just itchin' for a fight? You crack me up! We didn't do so hot in Viet Nam because they put too many rules and conditions on the troops then. Couldn't that happen now too? Are you sure winning would be guaranteed? I'm too old to handle losing very well.

Varmit

Diane, I know our troops were held back in VietNam, and yes it could and is happening now.  If we cut our military loose and told them to do whatever they needed to, I know we would win. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Good, I sure hope so. I hate to admit it, but I couldn't stand Robert McNamara and Gen.Westmoreland because of all the smarmy politics that went on then. It got a lot of young men killed, but I was young then. Perhaps I could have a better perspective on it now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk