A Michigan professor sent an e-mail telling Muslim students to leave the count

Started by frawin, May 28, 2009, 07:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Try going back to the Mayflower, Billy, if you want longevity.  Not that ancestors mean anything.  You are what YOU are, not what your father was.

Varmit

They may not mean anything to you wilma, but my ancestors are a part of who I am. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

redcliffsw

Excellent point, Billy. 

This country was set apart when it was established.

Wilma

In that case, let's go back to the Mayflower where my (I don't how many greats grandfathers) were leaders in the settlement, serving as assistant governor and as treasurer at different times.  One of them was also a captain in what would have been the military at that time.  These two greats were also greats grandfathers to two future presidents of the United States, who by accident of birth were my cousins far removed.  OK now if I am who my ancestors were, what does that make me?  I know who I am and I am proud of it and I did not get there because of my ancestors.  Maybe I am an American because my ancestors emigrated to a new country.  I also have ancestors who came from France and Ireland and of course there are the ones that were already here.  Now let's include the blood that the Frenchman brought with him.  Almost all of that in the southwest part of Europe.  Considering all the different sources of my ancestry, I would say that I am just about as much American as a person can be.  (I use the word greats to indicate a great many generations in the past.)  Twelfth generation American to be exact.  Does that make me a better American than anybody else?  Not that I know of.  Being what I am isn't what my ancestors were, it is what I am now.  Actually, if you want to consider some of my other ancestors, I will just stick with what I am now.

Anmar

I always laugh when these kinds of statements are made, especially out here in the west.  200 years ago, the only white people here were a few russians who were trapping furs.  There were natives and mexicans all over the place and eventually, the border crossed them!  I played soccer with a few kids who were descendants from those people, and we'd hear those shouts when we travelled out to the richer areas of california. 

Like i always tell people, read your history.

QuotePam, I am not an immigrant. I was born here, as were my parents, grandparents, great grandparents.  I am a native.

QuoteThey may not mean anything to you wilma, but my ancestors are a part of who I am. 

Your annestors are immigrants, sorry buddy.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Varmit

If that is the logic you are going to use, then EVERYONES ancestors are immigrants.  Even the indians.  So what.  I was born here, as were my parents and grandparents, makes me a native.  Ya'll missed the point I was getting at when I mentioned my ancestors. 

It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk