What about Sonia Sotomayor?

Started by Wilma, May 28, 2009, 12:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

So what, other than that would disqualify her for the job?  What I am wondering is, isn't it her job to make her decisions according to what the law says?  If she can do that, does it matter what she said 8 years ago?  Does it matter where she stands on abortion if she decides according to the law?  Does her personal opinions or personal life have anything to do with the way she does her job if she does it according to the law?  OK, I know that presidents like to appoint justices that will support their beliefs years after they are out of office, but a supreme justice should have no personal likes, dislikes or opinions.  Or to be absolutely correct, should not let the personal likes, dislikes or opinions enter into their decisions.  Can she do that?

dnalexander

Senator Wilma all those questions will be asked. I look forward to watching her confirmation process whether she makes it or not.

David

redcliffsw

Warph

Quote from: Wilma on May 28, 2009, 12:59:23 PM
Sonia Sotomayor is the nominee for the supreme court vacancy.  How do you think she measures up for the job?

I guess we'll find out in the near future because I'm afraid she'll be a shoo-in.  But the again, God works in mysterious ways.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Varmit

I think her record speaks for itself.  She has, in my opinion, proven to be racist or at least racially baised with the New Haven firefighter deal.  60% of her rulings have been overturned, and she believes that judges should be able to legislate from the bench.  Her idea of justice is by no means "blind".
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Of her overall 232 cases, 3 were overturned, or 1.3 %.   Of the 5 that were reviewed by by the supreme court, 60% were overturned.

Diane Amberg

Does anyone know what the rest of the conversation was in which she uttered those now infamous words about the Latino woman and the white man? I worry a bit when that kind of thing is taken out of context.
   By the way, Latino is not a race, it is a culture or an ethnicity. There are white Hispanics, black Hispanics, pure Mayan Hispanics, mixed Mexican and Indian Hispanics. It is whatever they call them selves. I fear that as so many people use it wrong, it will become embedded in our language.
    I was listening to Rush today as he was talking about himself now being America's Pinata. He is well padded. It will never hurt him. He was also expounding on Sonia Sotomayor. He did slip up, referring to that same statement,...would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white who hadn't lived that life. He left out the word "male." Could have been an honest mistake, but since he has been pounding on her so hard, he better be careful. Since I don't have to vote, I'm glad I don't have to choose. I do agree she is a giant academically. I don't know what to think about the firefighters' issue. Perhaps there is still a minority quota there? I don't know why the test was tossed when no African Americans had high enough scores. I'd have to look up the case.

Warph

I don't know Sonia Sotomayor personally, so, I don't dislike her any more than I do any of the other liberal judges that were on Barack Obama's short list of Supreme Court nominees.  The difference is that somewhere I saw a video of Judge Sotomayor addressing what I assume was a group of law students.  After telling them that the courts are where policy is made, she gave a little laugh and acknowledged that she probably shouldn't have said that when she knew she was being taped.  But she did say it, and in doing so, she spoke for every left-wing nut job judge in America.  I understand in California, judges have over-ruled the vote of the people on capital punishment, illegal immigrants and keep going back and forth on same-sex marriage.  In Washington, SCOTUS -- or what I like to refer to them as the "Supremes"   ;)-- expanded eminent domain in a way that would have impressed even the likes of Stalin, Hitler and Castro, and decided that when the Founding Fathers included "the pursuit of Happiness" in the Declaration of Independence, what they had in mind were millions and millions of abortions.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Diane Amberg

I did find out more about the New Haven firefighters case. It turns out New Haven was worried about not having an minorities considered so they tossed out the test. It was troubling but legal. So the Judges panel had to agree. There was no basis in law not to.

Varmit

No basis in the law....how about discrimination?  It works both ways you know.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk