Why isn't anyone talking about inflation????

Started by Catwoman, May 23, 2009, 11:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catwoman

I have noticed a huge spike in prices from last year to this year...My green plastic pitcher, that I bought for 1.00 last year,full price, is going for around 10 this year.  A plastic sack from Wally World, that is only about 1/3 full, is now running me about 20 dollars, where last year it would have been about 10-15.  Why isn't this being talked about more in the press?  I see an occassional article but nothing that is going to look at it for what it is.

Diane Amberg

Some of it may still be transportation costs, even though fuel prices have dropped. I know here prices have dropped somewhat and the stores are having a lot of basic necessities at lower prices. I can get milk at $ 1.29 a gallon, eggs at .99 to 1.29, sodas were 5 12 can packs for $10.00, bread was .89 for a big loaf last week. Recently I got flour and sugar for free and I was going to shop at that store anyway. We have a lot of competition here. Butter and cheese are still very high. I rarely go to Walmart, it's too far away. I do BJs and Costco once in awhile, but bigger isn't always cheaper. I really price compare.

redcliffsw

This short article covers quite a bit of ground and inflation too:

The Demise of the Dollar: "Safe Haven" No More

http://www.theglobalguru.com/article.php?id=254&offer=GURU001

Wilma

I tried to read that, but most of it was beyond me.  But it did bring one thing to mind.  We are not a single country anymore.  We are part of a global economy, whatever that means.  I wonder if the United States can make it alone.  Already I can't find clothes made in the USA.  Silk flowers that I am so fond of are all made in China.  It just goes on and on.  It seems that we are dependent on other countries for more than oil.

The cost of living?  Yes, it just keeps rising, even when employment is hurting.  I am just glad that I don't require much anymore.

Anmar

Milk out here in California is about 3.50 a gallon.

You'd be surprised how dependant we are on foreign countries, especially the chinese.  They don't just manufacture everything for us, but they buy our debt too.

We always try to buy American, but it's impossible.  If we can't find a quality product made in the USA, we try to find a substitute.  Times are tough now, but i wonder in the future if it would be economical to start making clothes locally.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Wilma

At the price of fabric, most of which is made overseas, it is cheaper to buy most thing ready made.  I have been checking.  What I really need to do is unpack the fabric that I bought so many years ago that I don't remember what I have now and see if there is anything that I can use.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk