Life, Liberty & Property

Started by redcliffsw, May 16, 2009, 09:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redcliffsw

The rights to life, liberty and property were not meant to be subject to the vagaries of majority rule.

I like Fox News broadcaster Glenn Beck. The man exudes goodness and has a visceral feel for freedom.

From this scrupulous soul I'd like to hear less about "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" and more of the original Lockean phrase, from which Thomas Jefferson drew when writing the Declaration of Independence.

"No one ought to harm another in his life, health
, liberty, or possessions," wrote the British philosopher John Locke, in the "Second Treatise on Civil Government."

By "the pursuit of happiness," Jefferson meant property plus, the right to take action to acquire what is required to sustain and satisfy life. Instead, the founder bequeathed us a vagueness that has helped undermine the foundation of civilization: private property.

By and large, modern-day Americans have twisted the famous phrase, and have turned into looters who pursue happiness at the expense of the producers.

Heeding the call of the wild, the Other House of ill-repute – the Senate – is on track to enshrine the right to carry debt with no penalty: a credit-card bill of rights. With such constitutional chicanery under way, the distinction between what is mine and what is thine – private property – bears repeating.

Read the rest of the story:
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=98112

Diane Amberg

I wonder why anyone felt he had to translate what Jefferson "really meant". I thought his words were clear as they were written. 

Catwoman

Jefferson was always extremely clear in his writings.  This is just typical of our 'media' today...They think that they have to interpret things for you, as you're too inane to be able to figure things out for yourself.

Varmit

I don't know cat, after what has happened since January I am seriously questioning whether or not the citizens of this once great nation are smart enough to figure things out on their own.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk