The Great Water Heist

Started by Teresa, May 12, 2009, 12:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redcliffsw

Speaking of water rights, Catwoman-

The Feds have been buying water rights from farmers in western KS.  In the future,
do not be surprised that the "big dogs" are buying & owning the water rights. 

In my opinion the Feds should not be owning land, water rights or mineral
rights in this country - states ought to have the ownership, if any.
The Feds could own their Post offices and forts - at least until a
state seceded.........

Diane Amberg

Cat, I was thinking about what you were saying about Warren Buffet and I'll bet you are right. He has been saying for some time that water is the new oil. He could position himself to make huge amounts of money and still keep water prices reasonable. That's one guy who could upgrade Howard's water system out of pocket change. I doubt he would bother with small towns. But, that's part of free enterprise. Red, you'd love Delaware. We are the only state that doesn't have a national park...yet. So why are the western Kansas folks selling their water rights? They don't simply say no? What's the rest of the story?

frawin

T. Boone Pickens has been buying massive amounts of water rights for years.

Catwoman

Guys, I was wrong...Massively wrong...It's not Warren Buffett...It IS T. Boone Pickens who has been wheeling and dealing in water rights...Thanks, Frank, for jogging my memory and setting me back on the straight path...We'll hope that path doesn't lead to any further embarrassment! lol  If my memory doesn't start improving, I'm going to start thinking that I'm in the early stages of Old Timers! lol

Diane Amberg

WELL, that's what I get for listening to friends!   ;D ;D ;D  No harm done. I remembered it wrong too. Right idea, wrong Kabillonaire.

frawin

Quote from: Catwoman on May 13, 2009, 03:30:42 PM
Guys, I was wrong...Massively wrong...It's not Warren Buffett...It IS T. Boone Pickens who has been wheeling and dealing in water rights...Thanks, Frank, for jogging my memory and setting me back on the straight path...We'll hope that path doesn't lead to any further embarrassment! lol  If my memory doesn't start improving, I'm going to start thinking that I'm in the early stages of Old Timers! lol

Cat, I thought you were just testing us to see if we were paying attention and reading all of the post.

Catwoman

Oh, if only I could claim such foresight...Nope...It's just my swiss cheese memory...That particular bit of information fell through one of those stupid holes! ::) ::) ::) ::)

redcliffsw

It seems that the Feds paid $200,000 or so, for 160 acres for water rights out west.
Might be a reason for a landowner to sell, but I won't be surprised that later the Fed's sell or lease those same water rights
to the "big dogs".  

Diane, it's good to know the Fed's do not own any national parks in Delaware, but how much other land do they
own that they ought to divest?

pepelect

The city of Wichita has $500,000,000.00 worth of property commercial, industrial, and residential.  Most of it is misclassified and the new manager doesn't see it as a revenue stream because of the depressed economy.

Catwoman

Misclassified how?  And, what types of businesses does it encompass?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk