Elk County Employees

Started by Wilma, May 10, 2009, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Would you believe cat fish farming in the pot holes? No?    I'll ask Joe B. to send you some $$$

pepelect

Catfish might be an option this year with as much rain as we have had.   I don't know what we would feed them since you can't get a tractor even close the the fields because of the water.

My great uncle had a fish farm west of Howard.  It was a very labor intensive enterprise.  What if we had water wheel generators  installed on the river banks  that way when the river went out of the banks at least we would have power for the duration of the event?

Lookatmeknow!!

Believe it or not we had about a 5 to 10 pound fish in the spot that goes under water between Hubbles house and Bellars.  The girls were amazed and I was to.  Especially the size of this fish!!  Not really sure where on earth it came from, but it was there.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Diane Amberg

Maybe it swam over from Teresa's ditch. ;D

Tobina+1

I do agree with PEP about driving around during the rain to look at the roads.  You can only really tell what areas are problem areas during the rain.  Well, the pot holes left behind are a good indication, but during the rain you can see where the water does/does not run and what should be corrected.  A lot of times, this could probably be fixed with a shovel to re-route the water down the ditch earlier (vs. running over the top of the culvert and washing out the sides).  I've done this in my driveway and at the culvert at the end of my driveway many times in my raincoat with my shovel.  I even shoveled the extra gravel piled on the side of the road into the potholes to fix them (during the rain).

W. Gray

No, Diane, it was a walking catfish.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

;D ;D ;D I sure hope not! Those things are spooky!

W. Gray

I first saw one of those in Thailand in 1972.

It came out of a large pool of water walked about ten feet and went into another large pool of water.

Have never seen one in Florida but they are supposed to be there having been brought in from southeast Asia.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

They are in Florida. I've never seen one either. We have family there, I'll have to ask about the fish. We had some snake heads here, but I think they were successfully eliminated.

Lookatmeknow!!

I have to make a comment on the amount of pay that was talked about.  I know that they don't get paid alot, but there are other jobs around here that people do that don't get paid alot of money either, and those people still do a good job at what they do.  I have no complaints about the work that they do.  Would I like my road to be in better shape?  Yes!  Do I blame the county for the mess they are in, not really lot has to do with the weather.  And also have you seen the trash that is thrown out on the county roads!!!  When I am taking my walks, it is nothing to see a couple cases of empty cans within a couple miles.  I am going to start taking a sack so I can collect them.  But back to what I was getting at, pay isn't that great anywhere around here.  That's just part of life.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk