Dedicated to Teresa and all the othjer Ex-Hippies.

Started by dnalexander, May 08, 2009, 08:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarge

the older I get the more I know how little I knew when I knew it all

larryJ

Yeah,David, that was the place.  When I moved to California in 1965, I got a job selling records at the Lakewood store and worked my way up to Assistant Manager.  Then the Army stepped in for two years.  When I came home, I was given my old job back, but at the West Covina store.  From March of 1968 through July of 1971, I worked as assistant manager and finally store manager all over the chain, the last being assistant manager in Hollywood.  Mr. Wallichs and I had differing opinions about fraternization with employees so there was a period of time of unemployment, but they took me back when they were hurting for a manager.  At long last, they just couldn't abide by my take on fraternization and I was gone for the final time.  I really loved that job.  I worked afternoons and nights and weekends for low pay, but I just loved that job.  

During my course of employment there, Tower Records opened a store in Hollywood selling records at a discount.  In our meetings with Mr. Wallichs, we encouraged him to go discount and he wouldn't do it.  Consequently, he filed bankruptcy in 1972 and the end of an era.  During World War II, you could go into Music City and record messages on discs which were sent to sodiers overseas.  

Nice picture.  Thanks David

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

dnalexander

Quote from: larryJ on May 09, 2009, 01:00:30 PM
Yeah,David, that was the place.  When I moved to California in 1965, I got a job selling records at the Lakewood store and worked my way up to Assistant Manager.  Then the Army stepped in for two years.  When I came home, I was given my old job back, but at the West Covina store.  From March of 1968 through July of 1971, I worked as assistant manager and finally store manager all over the chain, the last being assistant manager in Hollywood.  Mr. Wallichs and I had differing opinions about fraternization with employees so there was a period of time of unemployment, but they took me back when they were hurting for a manager.  At long last, they just couldn't abide by my take on fraternization and I was gone for the final time.  I really loved that job.  I worked afternoons and nights and weekends for low pay, but I just loved that job.  

During my course of employment there, Tower Records opened a store in Hollywood selling records at a discount.  In our meetings with Mr. Wallichs, we encouraged him to go discount and he wouldn't do it.  Consequently, he filed bankruptcy in 1972 and the end of an era.  During World War II, you could go into Music City and record messages on discs which were sent to sodiers overseas.  

Nice picture.  Thanks David

Larryj

The reason I asked was because I have a  vintage Gibson L-7 archtop guitar that came with a receipt from Music City. I think that would add an interesting bit of history to my great sounding guitar.

David

larryJ

David, does the receipt actually say Wallichs Music City?  The reason I ask is because some departments such as the instruments and the sheet music and the tickets were actually Franchises inside the store.  The tickets were sold by Liberty long before their was a Ticketmaster.  Each store's instrument department was owned by various people.  I think the one in West Covina was owned by Mr. Edelman.  I don't remember any others.  All store's sheet music  departments were owned by Mr. Hansen who had a daughter, somewhat overweight, and not too much fun to look at.  She was an alcoholic probably because she couldn't get a date.  When my roommate and I were broke we would cruise all the bars in Newport Beach and Balboa until we found her and we would sit with her all night and never have to pay for a drink.  Some stores used the Wallichs name and others used their owners name.  I would be interested if there is a name on the receipt other than Wallichs.

Larryj

larryJ

Sarge, I see where Tim DuBois has produced a lot of Reba Mcintyre albums---and a lot more.  I was watching a PBS show the other night about old rock and roll groups. (it was a pledge show).  It occurred to me how hard it must have been for a group to go from "the garage" so to speak to a hit record.  Some of the ones on this show were "one hit wonders" but the music was good.

Larryj

dnalexander

Quote from: larryJ on May 09, 2009, 04:39:57 PM
David, does the receipt actually say Wallichs Music City?  The reason I ask is because some departments such as the instruments and the sheet music and the tickets were actually Franchises inside the store.  The tickets were sold by Liberty long before their was a Ticketmaster.  Each store's instrument department was owned by various people.  I think the one in West Covina was owned by Mr. Edelman.  I don't remember any others.  All store's sheet music  departments were owned by Mr. Hansen who had a daughter, somewhat overweight, and not too much fun to look at.  She was an alcoholic probably because she couldn't get a date.  When my roommate and I were broke we would cruise all the bars in Newport Beach and Balboa until we found her and we would sit with her all night and never have to pay for a drink.  Some stores used the Wallichs name and others used their owners name.  I would be interested if there is a name on the receipt other than Wallichs.

Larryj

Larry, I never paid much attention to the recepit, it is in storage with other things I don't want to throw away. The Wallach's name was new to me, but I recognized the name Music City. I was not sure originally if you were talking about Music City or maybe Tower.The address you mentioned struck a bell because because I visited Amoeba records which started much more recently here in the Bay Area and has a new store near where I think Wallach's was located. My 7 years in LA were spent in Redondo Beach and Hermosa during 1989 to 1995 when I worked for Sports Club\LA and Talla Developement the owners of many big name properties. Your story mirrors mine in so many ways. 

David

p.s. Since we are having a personal conversation about LA send me a PM. I doubt anyone here cares or knows what we are talking about.

indygal

Actually, David, I've enjoyed reading the conversation. Don't stop on my account  :laugh: Also, your mention of Redondo Beach made me think of an old Patti Smith song by that title.

dnalexander

Quote from: indygal on May 09, 2009, 07:25:07 PM
Actually, David, I've enjoyed reading the conversation. Don't stop on my account  :laugh: Also, your mention of Redondo Beach made me think of an old Patti Smith song by that title.

I will have to look her up and listen to the song.

David

dnalexander

For Indygal, because she was interested, I am starting a new thread in the Misc thread called Swimming Pools and Movie Stars to continue Larry and my conversation on Los Angeles, famous people, music, and pop culture.

David

sixdogsmom

Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk