Dedicated to Teresa and all the othjer Ex-Hippies.

Started by dnalexander, May 08, 2009, 08:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indygal

Ooh! Let's not forget Hai Karate and Old Spice.

Jane

When I was growing up in Topeka, we would go to a place called 4 Corners where bands played every Saturday. There was a band called Burlington Express that was really good and everytime they played we were there. Turns out they changed their name and became KANSAS.
My family traveled to California every summer. We would go to Pacific Ocean Park. Sometimes there would be a band playing and trying out new songs. Turns out it was the Beach Boys. It was great to be in on the beginning of their success.
Jane 8)

Diane Amberg

Al still wears Old Spice. Jane, I still have an old Kansas (the band) tee shirt. I'm jealous that you got to hear the Beach Boys live. I really liked their music....still do.  8)

greatguns

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a refreshing thread this is.

patyrn

When I was at KSTC (now Emporia State) in the late 60s, the lead-in band for the homecoming show--Pat Paulsen-- was a new group called the First Edition.  No one had heard of them, but they were so good!!!  After the show, we went with my roommate's parents to the Holiday Inn club/dining room where they were staying for the weekend, and that band was in the club.  We were so excited and got their autographs on dinner napkins, etc.  Wouldn't you know, Kenny Rogers was one of the group or I guess the leader as they became known as Kenny Rogers and the First Edition.  Alas, the napkin has disappeared through many moves through the years, but I always loved Kenny Rogers's music.  Too bad he looks like such a "freak" with all his overdone facial lifts....................................(at least in my opinion).  Fond memories, though. 

I just looked the" First Edition" up on Wikipedia, and they formed in 1967 which was the year I went to college as a freshman.  Within a year, they became Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, so I guess we saw them RIGHT at the beginning of their careers.  Interesting.  Several of the original band members had been with the folk group "New Christy Minstrels" before forming the First Edition. 

Catwoman

...'Cause he's an old hippie and he don't know what to do...
Should he hang onto the old?  Should he grab onto the new?
He's an old hippie...This new life is just a bust...
He ain't tryin' to change nobody...He's just tryin' real hard to adjust.

Courtesy of The Bellamy Bro's...A great tune, perfect for this thread!!

larryJ

Kansas--------Progressive rock group formed in Topeka in 1970.  Consisted of Stee Walsh (lead vocals, keyboards), Kerry Livgren (guitar and keyboards), Phil Ehart (drums), Robby Steinhardt (violin), Rich Williams (guitar) and Dave Hope (bass).  Walsh left in 1981 and was replaced by John Elefontel  Re-formed group lineup in 1986:  Walsh, Ehart, Williams, Steve Morse (guitarist from Dixie Dregs) and Billy Greer (bass).

This group had seven records to make it into the top 40 of which "Dust in the Wind" was the only one to become a gold record.

Kenny Rodgers------Born on 8/21/38 in Houston.  With high school band the Scholars in 1958.  Bass player of jazz group. the Bobby Doyle Trio, recorded for Columbia.  In Kirby Stone Four and The New Christy Minstrels, mid 1960's. Formed and fronted The First Edition in 1967.  Rodgers split from group in 1973 and went on to a solo career and movies. 

With The First Edition---they had two songs in the top 40 including "Just dropped in (to see what condition my condition was in".
As Kenny Rodgers and The First Edition---they had five to reach the top 40 with "Ruby don't take your love to town" going gold.

Don't forget to check out the Misc. section and Swimming pools,  etc.
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Jane

KANSAS still comes back to Topeka. Kerry Livgren lives just out side of town and has a recording studio were they all get togather and play. 8) Do any of you remember a band called Pott County Pork and Bean Band? They never went big time but they had a fiddle player that was out standing. They only played around Kansas as they were farmers and cattle ranchers I think.
Jane

Teresa

With all the talk of music... why don't you all go tot he MISC thread and link up some of these songs that we are posting.
It's memory time! ;D

http://www.cascity.com/howard/forum/index.php/topic,7503.0.html
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk