Dedicated to Teresa and all the othjer Ex-Hippies.

Started by dnalexander, May 08, 2009, 08:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Wow Larry, that's great history. I was into folk music too. Who were the deadbeats? ;D

jarhead

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 09, 2009, 07:33:31 AM
Who were the deadbeats? ;D

Who were the DeadBeats? How soon we forget. The DeadBeats were the hottest band to hit Howard and Longton in the summer of "66 and came all the way from Grove, Ok.   They were a great band (but the bass player wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer ::) and I'm sure Teresa will comfirm that.

Diane Amberg

I had a feeling they must have been a hot local group.

patyrn

I was around in those days, and really don't remember the "Deadbeats".   I do remember "The Blue Things',  "The Flippers", and "The Showmen", to name a few.  There were some great dances at the Howard Fair Building in the 1960s that attracted people from a long distance.  Lots of fun!!!!

jarhead

At one of the DeadBeats dances at the Howard fair barn there were 2 girls that jumped on the stage and became the go go dancers for the rest of the song they were playing at the time. I sure would like to know who they were!!! I'm sure that if they are still around here they are too embarrassed to come forth.

larryJ

Whew!! Sarge!!!  You had me scrambling for my library of Rock and Roll books.  I had not heard of the Deadbeats and thought maybe I missed something.  I see now by the other posts they were a local group.  At least, they never had a hit record acccording to my library.   :-X :laugh:

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Sarge

Nope no hit records Larry although the lead singer of the group had several hits as a writer and producer in later years on the country charts.
BTW, I'm glad that someone remembered the DeadBeats. Old tarhead must have a good memory.
the older I get the more I know how little I knew when I knew it all

larryJ

Sarge, do you know the lead singers name?  That would show up in my library.

And, in going back to previous posts on this page, I realized that the years talked about were 1966 plus.  My grandmother passed away in 1962 about the time I graduated from High School and moved on to college and by 1966 was in California.  So other than a few trips back for reunions, I haven't been to Howard much.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

dnalexander

Larry did you work at Music City? If so, are they still around?

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk